Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Calling 1-800 freephone numbers from Canada

kofsw4
4: Newbie

I called some 1-800 and other freephone numbers while in Canada from my pay monthly Vodafone mobile recently expecting these to be included in my £6/day roam further allowances (Canada has the same country code +1 as the USA and these were mostly Candadian businesses) but Vodafone has charged me as if I had made calls to the USA (@ approx £2/min).

Is this correct? I have ended up with around £200 worth of calls that I don't think I should have been charged for.

Thanks

48 REPLIES 48

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi @kofsw4

Information on abroad usage can be found Here and also in Vodafones Terms and Conditions.

For further clarification on what's included when roaming and to clarify the bill I would suggest to call Vodafone Customer Services on 191. 

If needed please do come back to the forum as we do have a Vodafone Social Media Team who read all posts and help where they can. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

I don't think I'd expect these numbers to be included, and Vodafone do state 

• You can use your UK allowance to call or text standard landlines and mobiles within the destination you're travelling to, as well as the UK

Thanks for the replies. I understand what you're saying about only local and mobile calls being included but classing these as calls abroad seems a stretch?

When I've been in the US, calling US 1-800 numbers has been included in my global roaming allowance but Vodafone seem to treat all 1-800 numbers as being US numbers even though theyre free to call from both Canada and the US using the same number (since Canada and the US share the +1 country code)

Therefore calls to these numbers from Canada are treated as calls abroad which doesn't seem fair.

donnyguy
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

I think you've got a valid point there.

The number you dialled begins +1 which is the country code for the US and Canada.

The 800 is the toll free code (along with others) for the North American Numbering plan which doesn't just cover the USA.

I think you need to wait for the team to come along and get this invesitgated.

Thanks, that kind of what I figured but I'm struggling to get anybody at Vodafone to look at the issue. I've been on online chat 3 times and they've promised to get back to me within 48 hours but have failed to each time so starting to suspect I'm just being fobbed off. Any tips?

Thanks

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm disappointed to hear our Live Chat team haven't been able to help with this @kofsw4. As we'll need access to your account to look into these charges, please contact us by following the link in the private message I've sent.

Well it's been five days since I escalated the query to the social media tem but still haven't heard anything despite their automatic reply saying queries are normally dealt with in 48 hours.

@Mark are you able to look into this further? The ticket number is:  EFT195 [#19589264]

Thanks

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@kofsw4 I can confirm that we received your email to us on 25 September - a member of our team will be in touch to assist as soon as possible.

isdoo
9: Established

Please let us know the outcome as this might affect me as well.