Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

NEW SIM ONLY OFFER

Rennart
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have been a Vodaphone customer for years now and have two old iphones on a rolling sim only contract, which is a good tariff.

Recent conversation with Vodaphone  suggested I am sent NEW sim cards as coverage will improve 5G etc.

My question to the community - does a New Sim only monthly contract change if I insert a new sim?  I am reluctant to change if everything seems to be working ok and I certainly do not want to be charged more.
The operator was good and persausive but I am not confident as BT have fleeced me like this with plausible words in the past!
If I do not activate the new sim that they send - I guess my existing contract will just keep going.
Sorry if this all sounds very basic but I am an older generation!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AnnS
17: Community Champion

It depends on if this is just a SIM swap for the number or a new pay monthly contract @Rennart , this should have been clarified by Customer Services at the time.

A lot depends on how old the iphones are, they may not even support 5G network.  You can check the specifications here; gsmarena iphone specifications 

If the present SIM works no need for a change, as far as is known the new SIM have NFC connection, if you change phones you would benefits from one of the latest SIM's.   Vodafone were encouraging customers who were on a retired tariff to change to one of the latest plans and I am sure this was automatically done, if you are on the same vintage tariff you have done well.

Networks will be turning off 3G around the country and you will need a 4G connection on the phone for VoLTE 4G calling, there is further information from the website on this link We're switching off 3G 

T

View solution in original position

3 REPLIES 3

AnnS

It depends on if this is just a SIM swap for the number or a new pay monthly contract @Rennart , this should have been clarified by Customer Services at the time.

A lot depends on how old the iphones are, they may not even support 5G network.  You can check the specifications here; gsmarena iphone specifications 

If the present SIM works no need for a change, as far as is known the new SIM have NFC connection, if you change phones you would benefits from one of the latest SIM's.   Vodafone were encouraging customers who were on a retired tariff to change to one of the latest plans and I am sure this was automatically done, if you are on the same vintage tariff you have done well.

Networks will be turning off 3G around the country and you will need a 4G connection on the phone for VoLTE 4G calling, there is further information from the website on this link We're switching off 3G 

T

Thankyou Ann. Your suggestions are really helpful.

chistery
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

I would have thought that even if Vodafone had upgraded you without your express permission, by sending the SIM out, it would start automatically, so won't matter if you just ignored it anyway.

If your SIM is that old, you may be better off with a new one on your existing plan, but you probably aren't on a 5G plan anyway if you haven't upgraded in a while.

Want to tell us what your current plans and prices are, and what version iPhone you have? You might get some better advice than Vodafone will give you.