Ask

Solution

New Sim Activation - due to lost / stolen mobile

jodieharkin
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi 

I really need some support. 
My mobile was lifted last week and unfortunately I was unable to retrieve it. I reported it lost / stolen via Vodafone web-chat who arranged for a new sim to be posted out. I planned to input the new sim into an old phone and use my same number as we are due upgrades in a few months.

After receiving the new sim , I followed the instructions and completed a sim swap form online. I was unable to receive an activation text so I had to select the alternative form.  A short while later I received an email indicating the sim swap was unsuccessful due to the new sim not being ordered on the account,  The email says “ unfortunately we have been unable to do this for you because the new sim wasn’t ordered on your account,” Note - there are three numbers under the one account.  My own, my dads and my mums. And my dad is the key account name registered on the account. 

i therefore went online again, the agent assisted me to complete the form again using the key account name ie my dad along with his details but obviously inputting my number for the sim swap, Previously I had inputted my name as the previous agent told me to as i am an assigned level one user on account.  The new form process did not work and I was transferred to numerous people in the technical team who appeared to do various troubleshooting tasks including rechecking the form details, turning off phone, taking out sim and back in, checking the restrictions and bars , and asking me to try sim in a different phone etc. nothing worked so I was then told to wait 24 hours as everything was in order.  However, 24 hours later I was back online as the mobile was still reading no service.  I again spoke to a number of different agents who told me various different things and I kept reiterating the email about the sim not being on account. They told me it was a tech issue with the sim and posted me out a new sim which was the second new sim.  I reiterated the account had three numbers and the new sim was required for my number. The agent confirmed all was I’m order and assured me I wouldn’t need to log onto web chat again for this same issue as apparently the new sim would be active within 15 minutes of me completing the new form once it arrived,.

the new sim arrived and I’ve gone through the same issues. I completed the online form again with no avail as shortly afterward I received the same email about the sim not being on the account, I was online to an agent who apparently completed an internal form involving sending an activation code to dads phone. This agent assured me again that it would be activated within 24 hours and still no service,   I’ve spend easily eight hours in total to web chat advisors. Has any one any solution to this or advise on next steps to get this resolved? 

6 REPLIES 6

AnnS
17: Community Champion

You are going to need your Dad's help with this @jodieharkin , he is the main account holder and he will need to raise this with Customer Services, it wouldn't be something you would be able to do yourself, it is your Dad who has to pass data protection.

There is still a lost or stolen restriction on the account and this needs to be removed before the new SIM can be activated with the number.  Vodafone would need to place an IMEI block on the lost or stolen phone to prevent a thief enjoying your property.

Your Dad can contact Vodafone through Customer Service channels or he can send the Social Team a message through social channels here: Contact Us 

I have contacted them with dad on a zoom call so I’m able to chat to them as ive his security info .   

AnnS

You certainly wouldn't be able to  call @jodieharkin it's unlikely you would  sound like your Dad.

When you chat and pass data protection ask them to check the stolen SIM restriction has been removed.

Amanda
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello @jodieharkin - thank you for reaching out to us and for explaining what's been happening - I'm sorry to hear that your phone's been stolen and that you're not having the best experience getting back up and running with us. 

As @AnnS has mentioned, it would need to be your dad that completes the online form to process this and we'd also need to make sure the lost/stolen bar has been removed too. 

Your dad can contact us via social media too and we can get things sorted for you all 🙂 

Hi All 

I am a level one user and as such I am always able to call and access the account. The only time I have my dad with me is at the beginning of an upgrade process. Naturally, I have all the account information to pass through the security questions as I have rang many many times.  So to be told on here, that I would be unable to do this as I don’t sound like my father is bizarre and quite rude considering I’ve spoken to about 10-15 agents this week alone.

As an update, today I spoke to another agent who did all the previous checks, he then passed me to the tech team who did a few more checks, they told me that my phone number was not active. They attempted to activate it but they were receiving an error message that infers my phone number was ported to another network or alternatively the number was inactive for over 90 days. Neither of these are accurate, This agent passed me through to retentions as apparently I needed to complete a new order number form. When I got through to Margaret in retentions, she was bemused that I was transferred to her and said she wouldn’t have the skills to deal with my request. At this point I’d already been onto two agents today alone for over two hours and she was the third. I was transferred back to customer care (the forth agent) and was really dreading the conversation as felt I was back to where I started for the third day running. However, given what I’d been through, this agent called Rahul did a manual transfer which took about 30 minutes as we went through a few steps before hand,  The sim is now finally active. So probably about 20 hours later, I have an active sim and it really boiled down to the customer care agent doing the Manuel process for me. I asked him what he did differently to the others and he said it was unacceptable that this issue wasn’t resolved much sooner and helped me log a complaint as he was able to support this in his role. 

It is highly likely all three of us will leave at end of our contract as our upgrades have never ever went smoothly.  Two years ago I spent over 60 hours in calls and ended up with 30% discount to compensate for the troubles and poor experiences, this weeks experiences have been no better and a sim swap should have been simple. And a few years previous to this we had issues as well over and over. 

BandOfBrothers

Well you've been through some extensive steps to get up and running with this @jodieharkin  !

It appears Live Chat isn't grasping what to do for this to be resolved.

If you haven't already I'd suggest a call to 191 and speak to a senior agent to try and get this resolved.

I wish you all the best.  :Smiling: 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.