Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Pending Payments

mmcfarlane001
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hello 

I wanted to raise something that's happened to me twice now as is quite annoying.  

My monthly bill was due last week and I didn't realise that I'd accidentally cancelled my direct debit.  Once I did I paid the outstanding amount through the Vodafone app.  My problem is that the payment is still showing as pending (four days later).  If you know about card payments you know that this happens in two stages: authorisation of the amount (by the bank) and capture of the amount (by the merchant).  The funds are therefore reserved, but not claimed by Vodafone.  Because I have no idea why this has happened this means that to avoid my service being restricted I now have to pay the £220 again (and run this risk of the same thing happening yet again) and wait for the original transaction to be refunded by my bank. This seems unacceptable given this is not a problem of my, or my bank's, making.  

I've spent part of today raising this with the excruciatingly painful Tobi (which frankly makes me want to bang my head against the wall in sheer frustration) and have spent 90 minutes messaging various advisors who are telling me "we have not received your payment".  This is clearly down to some problem with Vodafone, not me.   I find it completely unacceptable that this is the case and cannot fathom why the money is there but is not claimed by Vodafone. 

Could someone advise why this happens (on two occasions in my case?) 

9 REPLIES 9

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @mmcfarlane001 

Have you tried asking the Vodafone Social Media Team's via Twitter or Facebook as they have account access. Contact-us-for-account-specific-queries. 

Have you set your Direct Debit back up to stop this annoyance happening again.

To be honest I've never accidentally cancelled a Direct Debit. With my bank its a dedicated route to cancel a direct debit which requires a few stages to cancel one.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Hi 

I've tweeted about it but to no avail.  Cancelling DDs on the Monzo app is really easy!  Not sure how it happened.  I just don't understand why the payment hasn't been claimed?  I can't seem to speak to anyone else so can only assume Vodafone doesn't give a ##~##.  I'd move to another network if I wasn't mid-contract.  

I wouldn't want a direct debit so easy to cancel that it could be accidentally but I understand banks are different @mmcfarlane001 

Sounds like Vodafone's systems and how they work.

The Social Media Team's will catch up with your tweets.

Did you link back to your thread here including your forum username which helps the team respond faster and so that your not having to repeat yourself.

May i assume the signal and data speeds you attain from Vodafone are reasonable. If so leaving could leave you with another network that has possibly poorer connection and data speeds etc.

I appreciate your wanting this collected which I'm sire Vodafone will do once their systems kick in. 

Current Phone  >

AnnS

Hi @mmcfarlane001 

Unless things have changed Vodafone systems don't accept Monzo card online or in store but the card seems to go through when used calling Vodafone. 

Try making the payment by calling the payment line on 44555, you may well find the card accepted with the payment going straight to your account.  If you have another card with one of the other banks, there won't be any problems making an online payment.  It would also be worth making sure the payment still shows as a pending transaction at your bank.

If Vodafone systems are rejecting Monzo card without any valid reason, it's certainly about time the card was added as an accepted means of payment.

As far as the direct debit is concerned, with banks being cautious when a direct debit is cancelled by the account, you may need to advise the bank you need to set up the direct debit again after accidentally cancelling.

Thanks, although I've used my Monzo card with Vodafone before so not sure that's the issue.  I can see from online banking that the payment is still pending (i.e. authorised by the bank but waiting to be captured by the retailer).  

Might be worth contacting your bank for the authorisation code for the payment and pass this to customer services at Vodafone on 191 , Live Chat or to the Team on Twitter or Facebook once they reply @mmcfarlane001 

Current Phone  >

Thanks, but I've wasted enough of my time on this Kafkaesque nonsense today.  I'll pay again but over the phone and wait for my refund.   

AnnS

Hi @mmcfarlane001 

The reason it's still pending on your bank account is because the card has been rejected by Vodafone, try the automated  payment line on 44555 or use an alternative card.

I really don't think it's that.  I've used it before.