Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

USA Roaming

Tats22
3: Seeker

I am planning a visit to the USA and have a pay monthly contract.

I will have a separate phone with a USA Sim for calls and data / internet in the USA.

The only thing I will need my UK phone with it's Vodafone Sim is to be able to receive security texts from my Bank and Credit Card companies and make calls to them if necessary.

I understand I will have to pay the daily roaming charge if I use my phone for sending or receiving calls / texts.

I will have mobile data turned off - so, do I still get charged if there are no calls and texts on a specific day - i.e. the phone is not used?

11 REPLIES 11

Tats22

Hello AnnaS and japitts

Having looked at things fresh today I think my confusion is better explained by saying that a maybe a better drafting of the first 2 bullet points on the Roaming Charge Checker  would have been as follows (my words added in bold):

• A day starts from the time when roaming is detected and lasts for 24 hours. For example, if roaming is detected at 10am, the daily roaming fee would be valid until 10am the next day.
  • It's always free to receive standard rate calls and texts and their receipt does not trigger  a days roaming charge

It would be reassuring if one of you could just get back saying agreed

Thanks

Tats22

I am planning a visit to the USA and I will have a separate phone with me that has a USA Sim for calls and data / internet in the USA.

The only thing I will need my UK phone for (with it's Vodafone pay monthly Sim) is to be able to receive security texts from my Bank and Credit Card companies asking if transactions are correct, reply Yes/No by text and make calls to them if necessary.

It has been kindly explained to me on a separate post that by referring to this link Roaming Charge Checker , you can see "It's always free to receive standard rate calls and texts" . 

This seems like good news -  I could keep data roaming and mobile data off so as not to incur the roaming charge of £7.39 each day - just watch out for incoming texts and incur the roaming charge on a particular day for replying to a text if necessary.

However I spoke to Vodafone and they said that texts from Banks and some other organisations are premium rate and not standard rate - accordingly I would probably not see these texts unless data roaming and mobile data are switched on.

I cannot find any reference to this on the internet / Vodafone web site / my contract.

Any help much appreciated.