11: Established

That didn't take long...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-58146039

21 REPLIES 21

simax
14: Advanced member

It won’t affect everyone though….

It will only affect customers who join or renew after 11th August onto a standard plan without the “Xtra” options (ie: unlimited plans that currently have 81 roam free destinations). Even if you sign up after the 11th you can roam free in the EU until January.

For people like myself who are usually on the top unlimited plan, nothing will change, even if I upgrade.

chistery
16: Advanced member

No surprise that it was Vodafone who followed EE, and it's about time OFCOM investigated how the networks almost appear to collude to improve profits. I think there's a word for that behaviour? 🤔

The problem with Vodafone plans is that Vodafone is removing features from plans to add them to xtra.

E.g. If you want global roaming plus, you now pay a lot more as it's been removed from unlimited max.

johnnykins
4: Newbie

That didn't take long did it?  Especially after a mere month (?) ago Vodafone went on record to say there were "no plans" for roaming charges to return.  Clearly, there were plans even at that stage!  A very well timed follow-up to the announcement EE made recently......

However, on the other side of the coin I think people were being naive if they thought roaming charges would stay as they are after Brexit.  Roaming charges are just one of those things people who visit the EU will now have to budget for.  At least I suppose Vodafone have made the charges reasonable, i.e. £2 per day or either 8 or 15 day passes.  Hopefully Vodafone will make it simple and straightforward to buy these passes?  Maybe through the Vodafone app?  

chistery

Of course we all knew these charges were coming, but the networks should have said all that at the time. Instead we were repeatedly told there were no plans to introduce charging. They all misled us, repeatedly, Even when EE introduced charges they all pretended they wouldn't follow knowing they can say anything, deceive people, and  there's just no repercussions by doing so.

simax

Ultimately if you can afford hundreds or even thousands of pounds for a fortnight abroad in Europe for example, then £15 for a 15 day pass isn’t going to break the bank is it? If anything it will stop (or at least reduce) domestic price rises…

donnyguy

Welcome to Brexit I guess.

That's not a political statement but more just a reminder that the only reason we had free roaming was because it was mandated in EU law. It wasn't something the networks wanted to sign up to although to be fair to Vodafone, they did introduce it ahead of time (albeit at a time where we knew it was coming) whereas other networks left it till the very last moment to make the change.

The reality is though, roaming is not free to the networks. The free EU roaming has always incurred costs at the network level which is why it's a no brainer that the networks want to remove it (let's see which of the other networks announce it next).

Understand people feeling sore at the timing of the announcements but sure the networks are all taking a calculated risk when it comes to customers jumping ship. 

Whilst, as a frequent traveller, I'm not happy with these changes. I do understand the need for networks to look for new (or old) ways to generate revenue. 

After all, I was reading articles (after EE made their announcement) which basically said the average spend per customer has reduced over the past few years (although I'd challenge that when the cost of my own package keeps increasing haha) whereas we're getting more demanding of our networks which is why they're spending money on 5G licences and rolling out the network. 

Think my point is, it's sore. I don't particularly like it but now they're not legally obliged to offer roaming at a loss, I understand it. 

I'll be interested to see how this is going to work moving forward.

I've got everything crossed they'll be offering the same kind of roaming bolt ons they offer PAYT customers.

"If anything it will stop (or at least reduce) domestic price rises"

I'm sure nobody is genuinely naive enough to believe that!  And it saying that it's a small amount on top of an expensive holiday is totally irrelevant.  It isn't a question of whether someone can afford it or not, it just seems that EE and Vodafone have decided that they can now extract more money from people without offering anything in return because the regulation is now weaker.

simax

The fact is, people are getting into a hissy over something that’s only been around for four years… before then you were charged to use your phone in the EU going right back to 1991…. The networks were obliged to offer at net zero cost to the consumer from June 2017 - didn’t mean net zero cost wholesale. 

Now, if Vodafone made it £6 a day to roam in the EU like the rest of the World then I’d understand the upset, but as it’s only £2 without a bundle, £1 with a bundle or included in the top plans it’s not really a big deal. Just buy a few sangrias less if it’s that much of a problem. 

Time to face facts that the other networks will now follow and it’ll be the norm within the next 6-9 months (with the caveat that the most expensive plans will probably keep the benefits).

TAP
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I am getting mixed messages from Vodafone regarding new roaming  charges, i live close to the border a few miles from Éire and can be crossing several times a week. They cannot tell me what happens the ireland plus  addon (£5 a month) so i have to presume this is no longer available, i asked them to check on chat earlier. I had been planning on changing from BT Mobile (EE) to  Vodafone but had been holding out as i knew a statement about new roaming charges was coming after EE announced new charges. AFAIK  3 are the only network still committing to free EU roaming.