cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Unsolicited subscription scam - how do I stop this?

Henyansk
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I’ve just received a text - apparently I’m subscribed for £4.50 a week to “funmobi”, and I should text stop to unsubscribe. Obviously I’m reluctant as I don’t want to end up being charged even more or giving my details to the scammer. Any other way I can get rid of this? I’ve activated a premium bar but don’t know whether this will help if somehow I’m already subscribed...

8 REPLIES 8

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

If you use the https://psauthority.org.uk/for-consumers it has advice and a way to try and find out the contact details for a company so you can ask them to cancel the subscription and pay you the funds back.

This might be the company which as an address and phone number at the bottom of their T&C's 》 http://funmobi.mobi/GBR/terms_and_conditions.php

It's a subjective topic to send stop as it can stop a subscription but also can tag your line as an active one too.

This is from Vodafone 》 How-can-I-stop-premium-rate-services-being-accessed-from-my-phone.

The Vodafone Social Media Teams and or Customer service on 191 or Live Chat can help.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thanks for your reply! I called the number - it’s a recorded message, I’ve had a test to say I’m opted out. Fingers crossed it’s vaguely legit - I think my 5 year old has accidentally clicked on the subscribe link in the car.

Hi, I just wondered if texting STOP to them stopped the charges? As I've just had the same thing happen from my son clicking something... and now being charged £4.50 a week to them! 

BandOfBrothers

@Rachrox wrote:

Hi, I just wondered if texting STOP to them stopped the charges? As I've just had the same thing happen from my son clicking something... and now being charged £4.50 a week to them! 

Please take a moment to read.my earlier reply to the OP as this may help you too.

As I touched upon in my earlier reply texting STOP can help but it can also show to a business that they've connected to a live line. 

What I've done across is if the business is reputable / UK based then they are liable to adhere to rules and regulations.

If the company isn't reputable / UK bound ie abroad then that's where issues can arise by sending STOP.

Of course it's your choice to or not.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

AnnS

@Rachrox wrote:

Hi @Rachrox 

It used to be the case where replying STOP would let the third party content provider know they have reached an active number but this argument is no longer valid. 

Even if you delete the message without opening, the software used by the third party will be able to detect if the message has been delivered to your number.

The third party is also obligated to honour and abide by the STOP request, this is also legally recognised internationally even if the messages originate from overseas.  If the messages continue after being requested to STOP you are then within your rights to make a direct complaint to the regulator, Phone-Paid Services Authority.

This is the official advise from the Phone-Paid Services Authoirity I've been charged, what next?

The best advise is to place a bar on charge to bill incoming only, this can be done through your online account and under bars on your My Vodafone Application.  Further information for you here: What are bars and where can I find them?

I hope that clarifies your question.

Thank you.

I already have the premium bar set on my contract, but for some reason this has been allowed?... I hope it'll now be stopped... 🤞🏻

Hi @Rachrox,

I had a reply from Vodafone advising me to reply with text "stop all" but it failed to send. I looked on Funmobi's website (Google's it not clicking on the link) and called their number - got a recorded message and followed the options to opt out.  Shortly after got a text to confirm opt-out, and I can't see any charges on my mobile bill so hopefully it worked.

I was going to say that replying, even to stop subscriptions or further messages, instantly flags you as an active number and more often than not you then get bombarded with all sorts of spam messages and calls. Personally I put a block on them through my bank or network provider and let them get my funds returned as it's basically a fraudulent transanction as far as I'm concerned