cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Why won’t Vodafone blacklist my daughter’s stolen phone?

Eileen65
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi, my daughter had her phone stolen in Barcelona on 11th February 2024. She gave Vodafone all the details the next day including her IMEI number and the police report reference number. She asked them to blacklist the phone but after all these weeks they have managed to only confirm that they have blocked her phone due to theft. They haven’t blacklisted it yet. This is extremely frustrating as she is a student and her insurance won’t pay her claim without evidence of the phone being blacklisted. It’s also causing her a lot of anxiety. Please can you help? I’m sure this last step to blacklist her phone can’t be difficult. Thank you, Eileen

7 REPLIES 7

AnnS
17: Community Champion

It would be worth asking the question in the forum search facility at the top of the page @Eileen65 , this has been discussed before. 

By coming to the forum you have found the best place to  get this solved.   Ask your Daughter to speak to the Social Team by following this link Contact us  

edited to add: Your Daughter was using a Vodafone UK SIM in the phone, now blocked to prevent unauthorised use.  There is no reason for being unable to blacklist the phone.  

Hi Ann, my daughter was using a Spanish sim card in her phone. She bought it from a Vodafone shop in Barcelona. Vodafone Espana have confirmed they have blocked the phone due to theft but they won’t blacklist it. Is this typical of Vodafone Espana that they don’t blacklist phones?  Thanks.

AnnS

Dear @Eileen65 

Unfortunately, Vodafone UK won't be able to help with this, Vodafone ES are a completely different company and network, and this is going to need to be raised with Vodafone ES.  There should be a way to raise a complaint on the Vodafone ES website.

@Eileen65 I have been having some thoughts about the IMEI blocking, the way I read this is your Daughter has a contract with Vodafone UK and has used a Spanish SIM for travelling.  I don't know if there is anything Vodafone can do to block the phone, the problem is having used an alternative SIM in the phone other than Vodafone UK. It may be something the insurance company won't accept.

No harm your Daughter speaking to the Social Team to see if there is any possibility  blocking the phone against her account.  Ask her to sent them a message through the link in my first reply, they will give a definite answer.

BandOfBrothers

The issue maybe is that the phone has been lost abroad and as such blacklisting may not hold @Eileen65 

That said Vodafone should be able to confirm they've applied everything they can. 

Your insurance team can then be advised of the circumstances. 

If I can be of any further help then please don't hesitate to ask.  😎 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Hi, the phone was stolen in Barcelona. Does Vodafone Espana not blacklist stolen phones? Thanks.

BandOfBrothers

@Eileen65 even though they share the same Vodafone brand name they are nkt linked with each other thus the Vodafone company in that country wouldn't be able to intervene. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

WelshPaul
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

If the phone had a Vodafone UK SIM inserted and was being used abroad 'Roaming', then it's Vodafone UK that is supposed to blacklist the handset and block the SIM. However, the device will still work on networks outside the UK. Insurance companies still require the device be blacklisted by the UK network in order to process a claim.