Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

my very strange last six months with vodafone

rchiileea
4: Newbie

So were do I begin, I have 2 contracts with vodafone for over 20 years :Socked_Face: and one ended 3 months ago, vodafone could not offer me the right price on a deal, but strangely enough got the perfect deal from a 3rd party with vodafone, rang up and was told the port of old contracts number to the new contract was going to be the process of letting the old one go to pay as you go and releasing it back into the wild and grabbing it back... (which is ridiculous as Vodafone should be able to do this easily),  I ended up basically saying oh well lets return this phone to 3rd party and move to another network as price was the same and porting number would of took a day, Funny enough I got put through to someone who switched the number in a day..... I mean come on vodafone please dont put a roadblock for someone with you who upgrades with a third party into a long drawn out process to get other number switched to new contract.

Think about it, it can be done in an hour, but your policy is to tell people who get a new phone through a 3rd party (who obviously went to them because it was better deal) to tell them its a 30 day wait before you can port the number over, when it can be done in an hour.. This intention tactic to make customers feel like its easier just to come to you and pay (in my case would of been extra 14 a month) to save that hassle is not good..  I mean if you would of stuck to you guns on the 30 days I would of sent phone back to 3rd party and switched network because it would of been easier and the same price.

Finally my last gripe my other line is due for Renewal and even with a 15% discount it does not were near match the deals found elsewhere no matter what plan I choose. It was that bad I already asked for my pac code 1 month early and was told if I use it I will have to pay the early termination fee... I would like to see you guys try because when I do use it it will be one day after you take the last payment so my contract will be paid in full.

it looks like its going to be a bad year for vodafone with me, I cover my parents and foster brothers data lines too and the total i was sending over to them was over £120 a month to cover that, the payment to you from that side has dropped as I now only have to send them 80 a month and only 21 of that goes to you now as the other 2 were moved to cheaper offerings.

Its a strange that what probably was the best mobile network that I paid £86 a month to directly and £120 indirectly for will be reduced over the next 2 months to a total of £27, its a shame after such a long time that it has come to this.

2 REPLIES 2

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

I appreciate your frustrated and unimpressed at the events you've experienced and are venting and rightly so 

Your right that taking out a contract through an independent can yield a better tariff as they don't have a network infrastructure to maintain thus none of that cost and typically they receive a kickback from the network for opening a new contract which they sometimes pass back into the customer via a better deal than going directly with the network.. 

Sometimes ringing customer services on 191 and choosing the Thinking of Leaving option gets a person through to the Retentions Department who can occasionally broker a better deal.

Also occasionally asking for the Pac instigates contact again from Vodafone to see if they can retain the customer via a deal.

Sadly this does not always happen so a person starts doing some homework on better deals and looks at independents.

Your also correct that then moving your current preffered mobile number from your Vodafone contract to the new contract can mean jumping through a few loops to achieve.

Moving old vodafone number onto new Vodafone Contract. Credits to @AnnS 
There are two ways this can be done.

1.  Cancel the old contract and ask for the number to be moved to PAYG.  The number will be scheduled to move to PAYG after 30 days.  You will then receive a new PAYG SIM card to activate and top up a small amount to get it active on the network.  You will then be able to transfer the number to the new contract.

2.  Ask Vodafone for a PAC code, move the old number to an alternative network, use the SIM as PAYG on the other network and ask for a PAC code to move the number onto the new contract.If your original contract near it’s end date ? If not then actioning the above would end it and invoke any relavent early termination fee. 

As your also aware asking for a Pac from Vodafone and using that within 30 days of receiving it from Vodafone so it's still active is best used as near as possible to your contract end date as possible to lessen any relevant Early Termination Fee's. 

It's advised to leave the Direct Debit in place as cancelling it too early or to deny any relevant charges from being collected can result in Collection Agencies being used and in the extreme defaults that last 6 years being applied on a person's Credit File resulting in difficulties in obtaining future credit. We see so many people affected by this that it's certainly worth pointing out to you.

Basically it it what it is In regards to moving numbers,  taking out new contracts and using a Pac !

However you wish to proceed I wish you all the best with this. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

This comes up from time to time, I've been in this position myself but the reality is:

- When you want to end a Vodafone contact, they require 30 days notice. This is whether you want them to end the service completely (cut you off) or move to pay as you go, this is in the terms and conditions

- You can opt to port your number to another network instead using a PAC code. This is the only way around the 30 day rule as you can port out within one working day

The complication of getting another Vodafone contact is: 

- You've taken a new line, new number 

- Porting a number means porting to another network, you can't port from Vodafone to Vodafone

- You're then left deciding what to do to get your number where you want it to be 

Best option is (and quickest)

- Port your number to a PAYG sim card of another network (takes one working day)

- When it moves, port it back

It's a bit of a mess around but gets you the required outcome in two working days

Alternatively, 

- Give your 30 days notice on your contract to move to PAYG and don't sign up to a second contact until you've reached the end of the required notice period. That way you won't have to wait so long to then move it back onto your new line

You can argue over whether it should be made easier but ultimately, they're not going to waive the 30 day notice period on your contact because you've signed up to another one through a third party.