Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Unlocking Sony Xperia 1

proidaho
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi there,

I've got Sony Xperia 1 from friend of mine. This handset is locked to Vodafone UK. 

The day after, I received NUC code from him and some instruction as well how I can unlock it. But all my tries gave me a message "attempt was unsuccessful".

Some additional information from my side: I am trying to unlock from abroad, from Malta. I've already found information that only-local-network acceptable for unlocking and it's okay for me, but now I am afraid that I used all my attempts:( 

How can I check remain attempt? And if I will try to unlock with malties sim card but from UK network should it work for me?

Please help.

Thanks a lot in advance.

16 REPLIES 16

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @AnnS 

I have to advise to what Vodafone UK Social Media Teams advise and to what Natasha from the Vodafone Social Media Teams Teams advised in the thread you have linked to.

i.e They cannot guarantee a Nuc will work while abroad.

The iPhone being the exception.

This is why we see these threads popping up from people who are abroad trying to unlock a phone.

People experience issues with unlocking while in the UK for a multitude of reasons which some are user error and others are that some phones need a MCK mastercode which hopefully with the recent information from Ofcom in regards to phones should be unlocked out of the box will stop all this.

I'm sure you agree.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

AnnS

Of course I agree @BandOfBrothers  but it doesn't mean it is the correct information.  It's something Vodafone have been unable to test only but no reason for the unlocking not to work abroad the same way as in the UK.

I am passionate about giving correct information on this forum, this is one reason I would never tell a customer unlocking definitely won't work abroad.

BandOfBrothers

Back to this customers particular issue the Nuc hasn't been successful when trying to unlock the phone while abroad and has unfortunately used up the available attempts that the phone allows.

This now means as we know that no Nuc will work whether they be in the UK or not until the phones counter is reset.

Until Vodafone officially advise something different to what has been advised in regards to unlocking abroad and is not guaranteed then it's not my place to circumvent that official advice when advising a person seeking assistance.

As I've also said previously people have had success unlocking via a Nuc whilst abroad but then on the other hand some have not @AnnS 

@proidaho I wish you all the best with this situation. 

Current Phone  >

AnnS

@BandOfBrothers 

There have been a lot of problems unlocking Sony phones on the forum and the information Vodafone give to process the unlock is inadequate. 

Like Samsung phones, there will be a code to be entered to invoke the unlocking menu on the phone, and Vodafone should give this code to the customer at the same time as the providing the NUC with complete and precise instructions.

Unfortunately, due to the information provided with the NUC, the OP has used up all the tries, but this is not unique to unlocking whilst abroad, the same thing has happened when customers have been trying to use the NUC in the UK.

I will continue to advise customers there is no reason for the NUC not to work abroad for the reasons mentioned, that is the correct advise.  However, it is important not to keep trying the NUC over and over again, if it doesn't work the first time leave it and contact Vodafone for advise and support.

BandOfBrothers

@proidaho 

I hope you've found all this information useful for the issue your presented with.

As for the advice you follow wether it be from the official Vodafone Social Media Teams or me or @AnnS who are customers just like you is ultimately your own choice.

I truly hope you get the phone working via which Avenue you eventually choose wether it be a Highstreet Store that advertises they unlock phones, or persevering with Vodafone UK after getting the phone counter reset or as a last resort sell the phone to use the funds to buy one you can use.

This all depends on the time and effort you wish to put into getting those phone unlocked. 

All the best.

Current Phone  >

@AnnS and @BandOfBrothers

Thanks a lot, guys, for your help! Now I know what to do next!

I will try to put a bit more effort to resolve my issue, otherwise will sell it :Winking_smiley: 

Just in time my next business trip to London the week after. 

BandOfBrothers

You're very welcome @proidaho  :Smiling:

Current Phone  >