Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Unlocking Sony Xperia 1

proidaho
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi there,

I've got Sony Xperia 1 from friend of mine. This handset is locked to Vodafone UK. 

The day after, I received NUC code from him and some instruction as well how I can unlock it. But all my tries gave me a message "attempt was unsuccessful".

Some additional information from my side: I am trying to unlock from abroad, from Malta. I've already found information that only-local-network acceptable for unlocking and it's okay for me, but now I am afraid that I used all my attempts:( 

How can I check remain attempt? And if I will try to unlock with malties sim card but from UK network should it work for me?

Please help.

Thanks a lot in advance.

16 REPLIES 16

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Unfortunately Vodafone UK cannot guarantee a Nuc will work if the phone isn't in the UK when trying to unlock.

If you try too many times and hardlock it then the phone will need to be sent to the manufacturer to have the phones counter reset @proidaho 

If you can't send it to someone you know in the uk and they unlock it and then send it back to you after unlocking then I'd try a local Highstreet Store that advertises they unlock phones.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thanks a lot @BandOfBrothers

Finally I found information how to check remain tries and I got a bad news - couter shows 0.

Now I have one more pain in the neck to find a Sony service to reset the counter. 

And I guess the only way, is to send the phone via Post and wait for a miracle :Laughing_Face: 

How to check remain tries?

@naseer26rns 

You key in a code like or similar to the one in Unlock-Sony-Xperia 

🌈 Stay Safe  🌈 

Current Phone  >

I checked the tries left, unfortunately it's 0 attempts left.

What's next?

If the counter is 0  then it's hardlocked so you can't try unlocking it until Vodafone can send the phone off to be reset as I explained in your own thread Network-unlock-code-unsuccessful. 

@naseer26rns 

As the Vodafone Highstreet Stores are temporarily closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic you may need to wait until they reopen.

🌈Stay Safe  🌈 

Current Phone  >

AnnS

Hi @proidaho 

If you are  being told the unlocking will not work from abroad that is nonsense  the nuc will be requested by the  phone when the alternative network SIM is inserted,  it's the phone software that  unlocks the phone, it is not network related.

There should be a  code to be entered into the phone before the NUC is used.. Follow the link on About the Community to contact the Team and they will help.

BandOfBrothers

If the attempts are at 0 then yes it will need to be reset before attempting again or try a Highstreet Store that advertises they unlock phones as I mentioned too.

As I said Vodafone cannot guarantee that a Nuc will work outside the UK.

Some work and some wont.

This is from one of the Vodafone UK Social Media Teams from 》Unlocking/Unlocking-Samsung-S8-plus-abroad-UK. 

In order for the unlocking process to complete, you would need to be in the UK connected to a UK mast though "

Current Phone  >

AnnS

Yes @BandOfBrothers 

Also a thread here: https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Unlocking/NUC-Code/td-p/2649964

If the unlock process required the phone to connect to the UK network I would agree but it is not network dependent, an alternative SIM is being used to invoke the unlocking process this can be any SIM including an overseas SIM and then the phone software is then used to complete the unlocking process.  

Lets also remember there is no guarantee the unlocking will work in the UK, something we have all seen on the forum.

Unlocking from overseas is no different to unlocking in the UK.