Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Unlocking an iPhone 5

Smitch21
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hello all, any help would be much appreciated!

I have an old iPhone 5 which I bought through vodafone and am currently looking to sell on. I'm aware vodafone say iPhone's now come already unlocked from networks but, when inserting my current EE SIM to check, was told the phone didn't support that network. I attempted to submit an NUC code form online but received an email telling me the IMEI number was incorrect (which I've double checked it wasn't). I know you can also call *#06# to get the device's IMEI but as I'm no longer with vodafone or have the old SIM I cannot do this.

I've tried calling the customer support line but as you're asked to dial in your current vodafone number this also didn't work as I'm no longer with them. I'm at a bit of a dead end now on how to get this unlocked and couldn't find any other relevant posts within the forum so any help would be great, thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Beth
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Smitch21! I'd recommend getting in contact with our Social Media team, if you pop them over a link to this conversation you won't need to repeat yourself but, you will need to provide your full name, date of birth, postcode, and mobile/account number.

We're unable to discuss accounts over the forum and we would need to raise a Network Unlock Code query form in by the sounds of your situation. Please let us know how you get on 🙂

View solution in original position

5 REPLIES 5

Beth
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Smitch21! I'd recommend getting in contact with our Social Media team, if you pop them over a link to this conversation you won't need to repeat yourself but, you will need to provide your full name, date of birth, postcode, and mobile/account number.

We're unable to discuss accounts over the forum and we would need to raise a Network Unlock Code query form in by the sounds of your situation. Please let us know how you get on 🙂

Thanks Beth, I got in touch over social media and they sorted me out with getting it unlocked in a couple of days.

Beth
Community Manager
Community Manager

Amazing @Smitch21! Glad to hear you're all sorted 🙂

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

My suggestion is to pick up a Vodafone Payg sim card and use that in the phone for a few days and then use the new Vodafone Payg account details to fill in the Nuc.

Vodafone will start having to provide phone's that are unlocked out of the box from December 2021 due to Ofcoms ruling.

To add....

An iPhone is not unlocked via inputting a Nuc {unlocking code} like other phone models are, but instead is unlocked remotely by Apple themselves and their Database.

So no actual Nuc is sent by Vodafone UK. 
The Vodafone Network lets a person know by email it's unlocking has been requested to Apple after accepting your Nuc online unlock request. (Please Check Spam Inboxes too)

Please Note > The iPhone isn't actually usually unlocked to all networks at this stage when Vodafone email you.

What happens is Apple then process the Networks request and occasionally this can take Apple approximately from a few days upto a further 30+ days sometimes from Vodafone's email to complete an unlock request made by a Network.
To complete the process please periodically insert an active i.e. connects to mobile network data, alternative Networks Sim Card in the iPhone with hooking upto iTunes is only typically needed if its an iPhone 4 or older although it wouldn't harm to do so. 
From the iPhone 5 onwards there's not normally the need to hook up to iTunes to complete the process.
When it's unlocked you should see a pop up message and the alternatives Networks name will show in the iPhone's status bar.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

AnnS

Yes @Smitch21 

As this is an Apple device, the phone will already be unlocked as confirmed here:  Unlock your phone 

All that should be needed to be done now will be to insert an alternative network SIM or synchronise to your itunes account.  The Social Team will help when you speak to them through Twitter or Facebook social channels.