Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vintage 3110 Unlock Help

louisvarley
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi Guys, i have an old 1990s Nokia 3110 which is sim locked to vodaphone.

I want to unlock it so i can reset it and use it. The online form here https://www.vodafone.co.uk/vodafone-uk/forms/unlock-code-request/

states the IMEI code is incorrect. However it isnt. ( I guess its probably just too old for the system)

Its a 3110 NHE-8

If anyone can point me in the right direction that would be great

6 REPLIES 6

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @louisvarley 

May I ask have you used the sim card in the phone recently which may help it's  imei latch to Vodafone systems.

Or it's as you say the system isn't picking up the imei.

In regards to Vodafone unlocking a phone.

There will be 2 requirements to Unlock a phone via Vodafone UK .: 
• The device was purchased from Vodafone
• The device is not currently blacklisted.
All other requirements will be removed.

If that does not help and you've been using the sim in the phone then I'd suggest to contact customer services on 191 , Live Chat or the Vodafone Social Media Team's via Contact-us-for-account-specific-queries and they maybe able to fill out the Nuc for you.

I assume you've tried an alternative unlocked sim card to ensure it's definitely unlocked to all Network's. 

The other alternative is to use a reputable online unlocking site or Highstreet Store that advertises they unlock phone's but that would come at a cost via a fee.

There are exiting threads that may also help when you do get the Nuc as some Nokia phone's can be tricky to unlock.

I wish you all the best with this. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thanks for the reply.

I terms of if it was purchased with vodaphone, i would assume so but cant be sure.

My grandmother died recently and i was clearing out her loft and found this. Along with an even older Motorla (back when sim cards were creditcard sized)

The 3110 Battery didnt work but a quick jolt with a large capacitor got the battery working again.

I assume the phone was my Grandfathers so it would be nice to have it working again.

I tried with my ID mobile sim and it says "sim rejected". Also tried a few online unlocking services, all who state the imie number is invalid

Ok so from what you write your not the original owner  / account holder so Vodafone can't unlock from your information.

So as I see things you have two options.

1. Pick up a Vodafone Payg sim card and top it up with a minimum amount and use the sim card to make a few calls etc to help latch the imei to the new Vodafone Payg account and then fill out the Nuc using the new payg information.

2.  “ Also tried a few online unlocking services, all who state the imie number is invalid ” I appreciate an online unlocking site has failed to yield results which maybe due to it's age. Maybe a shop that unlocks phone's would be the next step, when they reopen.

It really depends on how much time and effort you want to invest in unlocking a feature phone i.e basic phone with limited features. In it's day it was an impressive stable phone. I had one  :Smiling:

Looking at gsmarena.com/nokia_3110  it does not support 3G or 4G. It has 2G,  gprs and edge support.

And it's software will be possibly outdated and not as secure when surfing on it due to security updates being out of date and no longer supported.

I'm not trying to put you off unlocking it as it's upto you what your intentions are with the phone.

I hope the above helps @louisvarley 

Current Phone  >

AnnS

Hi @louisvarley 

The Nokia 3110 phone was released 2007 at that time  phones purchased direct from Vodafone came unlocked, Vodafone started to relock phones to the network 2013 and it more than likely the phone won't be locked to a network and certainly not Vodafone (unless purchased 2013)

SIM rejected means the phone is not recognising the SIM, this may be due to the IMEI no longer being valid.

I would recommend speaking to Nokia Support here: Nokia Support as the manufacturer they should be able to give better advise and help to get the phone working.

Much older than that. It is one of these phones

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_3110

Released 1997. I spoke to both Vodaphone support (who did not have the IMEI number on their database) and then spoke to Nokia (who also did not have the number on their database)

I managed to find a very old program from the early 2000s with the unlock codes for dct2 unlocking.

When entering the code, it says "sim lock not active" but still says "sim card rejected". I am using the sim from my phone, which is a micro sim, but in the holders to make them full size, so could be why, i've ordered a vodaphone and an o2 sim online for 79p to test if they work.

Battery is now dead however (one of the cells decided to die now) so i may 3D print a new battery case and put in a modern LIPO battery and circuit. Could make a nice collectors item then.

Hi @louisvarley 

o2 charged for a sim card ? Well at least they are free with Vodafone.

Vodafone will send you a multi sim which consists of a standard,  micro and nano sim all in one, which a person pushes out the size of sim they want. 

“ Could make a nice collectors item then. ”

It certainly could !

Perhaps even could be considered as an antique  :Winking_smiley:

Certainly a good project for you.

I wish you all the best with this. 

Current Phone  >