Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone NUC not working

AnneDan
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I'm trying to unlock a Sony Xperia XA1 after a 2 year pay-monthly contract with Vodafone.  My new "Three" SIM works OK in another phone but when I try to use it in the XA1 I'm asked for the NUC.   I have had 3 attempts at using the NUC but each time it has returned an "unsuccessful" message.  I have 2 tries left!

My partner and I have independently checked and verified the phone's IMEI number and the associated NUC provided by Vodafone.

I tried a Vodafone Live Chat (Ref 188 973 493 125 655 091, 7th March 2020) and explained the problem to "Sanjivani" who warned: "Do not try it again as it might lock your phone permanently"

After some further interchange Sanjivani concluded that "The SIM is locked so you need the SIM unlock code from Three that is the PUK".   But that surely can't be correct, if the SIM is working OK in another phone?

Having read many other complaints from customers having difficulties with unlocking from Vodaphone I am warming to the conspiracy theory that Vodafone is obstructing customer migration to other providers.   Please convince me I'm wrong.  

11 REPLIES 11

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi @Luke1082 

I appreciate your frustrated with unlocking your iPhone.

May I offer this advise.

An iPhone is not unlocked via inputting an unlocking code  'NUC' like other phone makes are, but instead is unlocked remotely via Apple and their Database.

The Vodafone Network typically lets a person know it's unlocking has been requested to Apple after accepting your online unlock request. (Please Check Spam Inboxes too)

The iPhone isn't typically actually unlocked at this stage of receiving the email from Vodafone.

Apple then process the Networks request and occasionally this can take approximately up to 30 days sometimes to complete an unlock request made by a Network.

Please Periodically insert an active Alternative Networks Sim Card in the iPhone and hooking up to iTunes is only typically needed if its an iPhone 4 or older.

When it's unlocked you should see a pop up message and the alternatives Networks name will show in the iPhone's status bar. From the iPhone 5 onwards there's not normally the need to hook up to iTunes to complete the process but it won't harm to do so.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Hey @Luke1082 If you've requested your NUC through our online request form, the information provided by @BandOfBrothers is spot on.  Apologies if this hasn't been explained to you previously. I'm sure our video guide to doing this will answer any more questions you have, but if not, you know where we are 😊