cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Why won't Vodafone unlock Gigacube Router?

dasnilpferd
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I purchased a Gigacube 4/5G router direct from Vodafone over the phone. I was told it would be possible to use the device overseas, but I can see now that's not the case.

OK I thought - I can just ask for it to be unlocked and then buy a cheap SIM with roaming enabled. However, Vodafone have told me twice (without a full explanation) that they won't unlock the device. 

As far as I'm aware this is in breach of net neutrality and roaming regulations:

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/bulletins/competition-bulletins/all-closed-cases/cw_0121...

“The EU Open Internet Access Regulation, among other things, enshrines ISP customers’ fundamental right to access the content and information, to use the applications and services, and to use the terminal equipment of their choice through their internet access service.”

So why is it I'm being told information which contradicts this very clear ruling? Can anyone help?

7 REPLIES 7

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Yours is the first post I've seen in connection to unlocking this type of device @dasnilpferd 

I'd suggest to contact the Vodafone Social Media Teams via Contact-us-for-account-specific-queries and they'll clarify.

I'd suggest to use Twitter and link back to your thread here including your forum username so your not having to repeat yourself.

I wish you all the best with this situation. 

Edit _ going from a Google Search it is possible via various unlocking sites but that would come at a cost and only consider reputable online unlocking sites.

I'm not saying you should go down this avenue and nor do I endorse any such unlocking online site.

🌈Stay Safe & Stay Alert.  🌈 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Hi there

I had already contacted them on Twitter and they refuse to answer the question. Thread here:

https://twitter.com/activistpuffin/status/1286654504558120960

I'm at a bit of a loss as their approach seems to be to repeatedly answer a question I've not asked and dodge the one I did ask...

I did eventually request a NUC code through the Vodafone website but it demands you include a mobile number so I just put 07000000000

I would have put the sim card in a phone to see the number attached to the sim card @dasnilpferd 

Please do let us know how you get on with this 

Current Phone  >

So I've put this on another forum and the answer seems to be that the router firmware is Vodafone specific, ditto the configuration file. 

This is all a bit beyond me. I just want a product I can use overseas, and I can't despite the prohibitive cost of the device. 

So I've read your Twitter posts and I can see from their replies they are steadfast that the Gigacube isn't applicable for unlocking so I'm not convinced you'll get too far via Vodafone.

A Google Search as I said shows alternative unlocking solutions @dasnilpferd 

People have been able to unlock other Vodafone dongles and mifi devices and use them with other sim cards, or people unlock their phones and use them abroad.

I wish you all the best with this situation. 

🌈 Stay Safe & Stay Alert.  🌈 

Current Phone  >

AnnS

Hi @dasnilpferd 

I have also been through your Twitter feed, Vodafone are not refusing to unlock the Gigacube, with the device not being the same as other mobile broadband devices, it's not something they are able to do to enable the device to be taken out of the country and used on an overseas network.  Certainly agree that the Gigacube is expensive but Vodafone do make it clear that the device can only be used at your registered address.

You would probably do much better purchasing an unlocked MiFi device, this would leave you free to use any SIM in the device, the only thing you would need to do is to download the correct carrier settings for the overseas network. 

If you purchased a MiFi device direct from Vodafone, with Vodafone offering Global Roaming here  Global Roaming,you would be able to use the device in selected roaming locations.

manarh
1: Seeker

In case others end up here when googling, FYI I bought a gigacube on a month to month contract so paid for it upfront in full. I was able to test it with an EE sim so it seems unlocked. The twitter messages linked in this thread have been deleted but it sounds like the OP wanted to use the device abroad and may not have understood it doesn't support many non UK 5g frequencies.