Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

second hand phone - SIM network PIN blocked. Enter SIM network PUK

sal488170
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi VF team. I purchased a broken handset from EBAY (screen smashed) and I repaired it, to replace my sons s7 edge that was broken too . The phone i purchased was locked to the VF network, which i was unaware of until I replaced the screen. . I got a NUC using the form from the VF website. I unlocked it. Since then I now have SIM network PIN blocked. Enter SIM network PUK., message. If I put my wifes vodafone SIM in it it is fine.

I think i need the master unfreeze code, or MUC?

I spoke to someone in the VF team via twitter who said the only way to get this fixed is to contact the previous owner and get them to request this via their account. 

I contacted the previous owner via EBAY messaging,. and they said they cant help me as the phone hasn't been used in 2 years and when they did use i,  they used it as a PAYG and didn't have an account?.

I'm kind of stuck. the phone works fine with my wifes VF sim in it. 

I'm looking for someone in the VF unlocking team that can help me generate a master unlock key so that my son can use the phone with his Three  SIM.

13 REPLIES 13

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Usually a MCK i.e Mastercode is required sometimes for a Samsung phone as well as the Nuc to unlock it to all networks.

If Vodafone have supplied a Nuc then there shouldn't be a reason why they can't supply a MCK.

I'd suggest to engage with the Vodafone Social Media Teams via Facebook Messenger or Twitter DM Contact-us-for-account-specific-queries and they'll help.

A final resort couod be to use a reputable online unlocking site or Highstreet Shop that advertises they unlock phone's but they would charge a fee.

I wish you all the best.  :Smiling: 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

i got the NUC from VF that was easy but I'm having trouble getting the Master unlock key. 

The representative on twitter didnt quite grasp the fact that it is a second hand fone and said that without the account details and security validation from the previous owner to validate them through security they are unable to provide a master unlock key.

I even posted on twitter to the rep the ebay coversation with the previous owner.

I would like to private chat with a VF rep and i can show them the conversation on twitter

any VF rep out there that can help

BandOfBrothers

Hopefully the Vodafone Social Media Teams can help you but unfortunately won't be able to via your posts here due to security protocols.

They'll help via Facebook Messenger or Twitter DM @sal488170 

Current Phone  >

AnnS

Hi @sal488170 

The unlock code is useless without the MSK code and this should have been supplied with the unlock code.  

Google seem to know just about everything, I have just searched using key words (you may want to try this yourself) and have come across this code *2767*688#  when entered press exit, turn off the phone, turn on insert your other network SIM in the phone and enter the NUC.  

You have already been speaking to the Twitter Team and they are reluctant to provide the MSK code.  I would suggest going through online unlocking site, it won't come free but they provide all the necessary codes.

Thank goodness Ofcom have put a stop to networks locking phones.

Hi AnnS,

Thanks for that, I might try it one day, Right now I have worked around the problem by purchasing a PAYG VF SIM and got this pesky phone online (it was for my 11 year old son). 

I'll use his Three SIM somewhere else for now, and if all works out I'll get him moved to a PAYM starting next month with VF to continue with the workaround.

thanks for all the messages, AnnS and BoB, I may revisit this in a months time.

BandOfBrothers

You're very welcome @sal488170  :Smiling:

Current Phone  >

Beth
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @sal488170! You shouldn't need a MCK for this as the NUC you received worked. If the SIM is asking for the PUK, then you'll need to contact Three (the new provider of the SIM) and ask for the PUK. Once you have this and enter this into the phone, it should work fine for you 🙂

Hi Beth,

Thanks for that info. I read a lot of chatter in the forum about this and really thought it was asking for the MCK from VF and not Three PUK. I guess there is no harm giving it a go. I'll let you know how I get on

thanks

So I put the Three SIM in. Then I got a PUK from THREE and it didn't work. Network unlock request unsuccessful. I had a glimmer of hope there from what you said.

I think many other people have also gone down this route from the error message 'SIM network PIN blocked. Enter SIM network PUK' , once the other carrier's SIM is in the phone. I think its misleading. I assumed the same initially, but reading further into the forum, I think really neads the Master unlock (MSK) from VF

I'm sure its a MSK in need from VF and not a PUK from THREE , as the second hand phone was locked to VF and the VF NUC worked.  From what I've read in this forum the MSK from VF is next.. as per a lot of chatter around this type of issue in this forum.

I put the VF PAYG SIM back in (and all is working again) and will most probably go for a PAYM with VF, as VF are reluctant to give me the MSK.