Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Help! My New VSS V3 will not install

mikebrunger
4: Newbie

After having problems with V2 that mysteriously stopped working after many years I have de-registered it and bought a new V3. After a total of about 36hrs trying to get it to work I am at a loss. Please help! Has my VSS connected with your servers yet??? T/S steps so far:

1. Serial number 42160534600

2. De-Registered old V2

3. V3 has registered through My Vodafone web page

4. Speedtest results: Ping 30ms; Download 30.84Mbps; Upload 6.6Mbps

5. Router is a Plusnet 2704N fibre connect

6. Port Forwarding set as per instructions. See attached screenshot

7. Tracert:

Traceroute has started…

traceroute to 212.183.133.177 (212.183.133.177), 64 hops max, 72 byte packets

1  dsldevice.lan (192.168.1.254)  5.326 ms  2.089 ms  1.978 ms

2  * * *

3  * * *

4  be3-3104.psb-ir01.plus.net (195.166.143.136)  30.125 ms  18.467 ms  16.746 ms

5  core1-be1.southbank.ukcore.bt.net (195.99.125.130)  18.613 ms  16.746 ms  19.053 ms

6  62.172.103.23 (62.172.103.23)  19.113 ms  17.225 ms  16.814 ms

7  t2c3-et-3-1-0-0.uk-lon1.eu.bt.net (166.49.211.236)  20.032 ms  19.538 ms  16.950 ms

8  166-49-211-254.eu.bt.net (166.49.211.254)  18.369 ms  19.228 ms  16.979 ms

9  * * *

10  * * *

11  * * *

12  * * *

13  * * *

14  * * *

15  * * *

16  * * *

17  * * *

18  * * *

19  * * *

20  * * *

21  * * *

22  * * *

23  * * *

24  * * *

25  * * *

26  * * *

27  * * *

28  * * *

29  * * *

30  * * *

31  * * *

32  * * *

33  * * *

34  * * *

35  * * *

36  * * *

37  * * *

38  * * *

39  * * *

40  * (and so on....)

8. VSS is assigned an IP address from router

9. After going through supplied install steps I waited 26hrs and still the Power light is on solid and internet light slow-flashes.

10. I then tried reset by holding reset button for 5 secs. Still same state after a further 12hrs.

11. I can ping the VSS IP address ok

Getting really frustrated with these boxes. What hope do non-techie users have???

35 REPLIES 35

mikebrunger

So I've had three online chats and one call with Vodafone Tech Support. They reset the VSS from their side. No joy. The last techie (?) told me I should connect direct to my router rather than the current setup via a Powerline adaptor. Didn't think that would change things but thought I'd humour him. After about 12hrs the internet light still flashing!!

Is there anyone out there (Vodafone or not) who can get this working on a Plusnet 2704n Fibre connect to BT Openreach? My V2 worked fine on same config. Are there any network tests/commands I can run from my Mac to verify connectivity?

Just to add to this sorry saga I have now chatted AGAIn to Vodafone cust services after the last step did not change the status. I was initially told that there was a sure signal outage since May 27th affecting mine and other boxes. Then after being transferred to Sure Signal Tech Support (again) was told that was not the case. They were simply running a databse update and couldn't access my details to look further at the problem. Vodafone need to clean up their internal processes.

I asked the SS Techie about whitelisted IP addresses and port forwarding setup on my router and she told me that as the SS ands Routers are smart devices, there is really no need to ensure these configurations are actually setup. The device should be plug&play. Well, we'll see once they call me back after the db update... am not entirely full of confidence.

Mike, Did you get your SS3 working in the end? 

Rahim
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@mikebrunger I've checked your IP and can confirm it's within the whitelisted range, therefore shouldn't cause any issues. 

I can see a resync was recently performed, however was only partially sucessful. 

To resolve the issue, I've resycned the device once again. 

Please allow up to 6 hours for the device to obtain a connection and to start working. 

It may be worth restarting your phone later this evening. 

mikebrunger
Rahim, my vss had been reset/resyncd so many times now and still doesn't work. The internet light is still flashing at 1700 UK time. I was told I will get a call from tech support after they had completed a dB update. We'll see..

Rahim, it is now 11PM here in the UK and so at least 7hrs after you resync'd my vss. The internet light is still flashing slowly. If you resync'd it from your end does that mean you could 'see' my VSS? What next before I go get my money back and start looking at O2 etc!!

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

@mikebrunger

I can the resyn Rahim requested for you on Friday was interupted. This may be dur to a faulty Ethernet cable causing a break in the connection. Connect the Sure Signal using a different ethernet cable.

If the cable isn’t faulty we’ll need to refresh the connection between your Router and your Sure Signal. Power it down and remove from your router, power down your router and leave this switched off for 10 minutes. Restart your router, once it’s reconnected to the internet reconnect and restart your Sure Signal.

If this doesn’t resolve your issue try connecting the Sure Signal in a different location. Once you’ve gained a connection try it at home again.

If you’re still unable to connect when you’ve done this please contact us and we’ll look further into this for you.

Hello Mark. While I reluctantly agree to try those steps, I have already moved the vss from one room in the house to where the router is and connected it directly. Previously it was connected via a TPLINK Powerline adaptor on which my VSS v2 was working for 2 years. Both router and VSS have been power reset at least once before. I cannot take the vss to another location outside the house. 

I will try another cable and power off reset router and vss and see what happens. This has been ongoing since May 28th so please come up with better T/S steps or at least tell me if you can see my vss from your side.

Hello Mark. I have now changed the ethernet cable between vss and router, powered down the router and vss, waited 10 mins then power the router back on. Internet connection established and then powered the vss back on. The vss has been given an IP address of 192.168.1.7 by the router which is different from before. Internet light flashing on vss at the moment.

Can you now resync my vss from your end successfully? If this fails then I am lost as to what to do next apart from replace the vss again or change to another mobil provider.