Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Support for eSIM in the iPhone Xs?

jayguevara
4: Newbie

Hi, 

Anyone know if vodafone will support the eSIM in the new iPhone Xs? I know that vodafone has joined EE in supporting eSIMs in the Apple Watch 4, however there doesn't seem to be any information on whether that is the case with the new iPhone Xs. 

I travel a lot and would make my life so much easier if Vodafone did support the eSIM in the new iPhone Xs! 

310 REPLIES 310

Guys,

Some inside information from Vodafone. eSIM services are not new to vodafone and they are provide eSIM services to apple watch and some other business IoT system ( credit card reader and etc). Vodafone is working extending the eSIM service for the new iPhones and I assume you can imagine the effort required and need to spend on training to relevant staff, stores and test the technical process in place to convert nano/micro sim to eSIM.

This services is successfully implemented in SPAIN and Germany counters of vodafone group. Don't be disappointed for not seeing vodafone name of list yet.  Currently EE is only one who have defined process and hence their name is listed on Apple site. Talking about other providers, O2 annouced it will be H1 2019, Three in Q1 2019. Lets hope vodafone will share some info by the time apple will activate this feature.

There is an option in the sim swap section of the website. I am running iOS 12.1 beta and the digital sim second line is available on my XS max. I just entered the EID number and it was accepted. Watch this space 

Definately looks like they are gearing up to launch it when 12.1 is released.

IMG_4640.jpgIMG_4641.jpg

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi all, we're working hard with apple to get this service to our customers as soon as possible. We don't have a confirmed date for this yet, when we do it'll listed on our Coming Soon page first.  

@Zitwarbler wrote:

There is an option in the sim swap section of the website. I am running iOS 12.1 beta and the digital sim second line is available on my XS max. I just entered the EID number and it was accepted. Watch this space 

Quick question, which website are you referring to, as I am also running 12.1 beta and would like to try it out

MyVodafone. Swap your SIM section in the menu.

Don’t try it. It’s for Apple Watch. 

I tried it and it deactivated my current SIM. 

I had to get a new SIM from Vodafone to get back on air. 

catean
10: Established
10: Established

It has no logic to be for Apple Watch only. Probably it is used for Apple Watch at the moment and when the eSIM will be activated in 12.1, vodafone will support the beckend too.

The logic is at the end of the process it does not give you the relevant QR code or detail for entering into the Add Data Plan screen in settings. It just swapped my SIM.

I would imagine if you have a watch you choose the watch and enter it’s eid it then activates it. 

Looks like Vodafone maybe getting ready for esim and not just in the watch.  Although Apple’s website still only claim EE for esim. 

https://blog.vodafone.co.uk/2018/10/18/tech-trivia-what-is-an-esim-and-how-does-it-work/

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT209096