Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Support for eSIM in the iPhone Xs?

jayguevara
4: Newbie

Hi, 

Anyone know if vodafone will support the eSIM in the new iPhone Xs? I know that vodafone has joined EE in supporting eSIMs in the Apple Watch 4, however there doesn't seem to be any information on whether that is the case with the new iPhone Xs. 

I travel a lot and would make my life so much easier if Vodafone did support the eSIM in the new iPhone Xs! 

310 REPLIES 310

chistery
16: Advanced member

So have you tried it? People complain about Global Roaming prices, not sure I'd want to pay $10 for 300MB a day!

Yes, tried in Serbia and Montenegro. It works well, and compared to my current carrier who charges me 6£/mb in Serbia, GigSky was almost free. You can try it for free if you register with my code, as you receive credit for the 300mb package. Next year will need data in Jordan, Georgia and Israel, so I will use them again.

chistery

What do you get if people use your affiliate link? I assume you are promoting it as you get something back? Always worth mentioning it in my opinion.

Serbia and Montenegro are both roam further destinations. Are you not a Vodafone customer then? £6 a day looks better than Gigsky prices.

I get 8£ too for each new user. 17£ for 1GB and 15 days was cheaper for me than Roam Further, and I am a PAYG customer with Vodafone.

TheNewMrsD
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Watching ‘the special event’ they said two ‘actual’ sims to start and e-sim to follow - no time frame 

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@jayguevara wrote:

Anyone know if vodafone will support the eSIM in the new iPhone Xs? I know that vodafone has joined EE in supporting eSIMs in the Apple Watch 4, however there doesn't seem to be any information on whether that is the case with the new iPhone Xs. 

We're still working with Apple to introduce this feature to our customers in the future 🤞 

I am also interested in this, Apple says the e-sim will be activated in the XS handsets with an update later this year... I also travel and very much want to reserve the SIM tray for local SIMs. Please let the powers that be know that this is a definite must have for those Apple users, thanks.

There is an important question with eSim.

According to Vodafone support, who I called and spoke to at length, if you have a Vodafone purchased iPhone and a Vodafone sim in the physical sim slot, you will be able to add any third party carrier to the eSim when it is enabled in 12.1.

HOWEVER, according to Apples web site, if you have a locked iPhone, the eSim and physical sim both have to come from the same network.

So that is all nice and clear then!

chistery

Seems clear to me. if you buy a phone from a carrier that locks the SIM to their network, you can only use their SIMs until you unlock it, eSIM or physical SIM, they are locked to the carrier.

Same with the OnePlus 6T bieng launched. Why lock a dual SIM phone to the network? Networks need to be more open about their policies at the start.

Absolutely needs to be clear. 

It would make sense what Apple is saying - if it is locked to the network, both SIMs are. 

It is the device that is locked not the sim apparently!!

however we do give to the network the imei number and a dual sim phone as two of them