Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

iPhone not connecting to wifi

Tirkiz
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have been with Vodafone a month and have 2 major problems I can't resolve.

1. My iPhone 5s won't stay connected to wifi for more than a few seconds.

2. I have successfully unlocked the adult content blocker (gambling sites etc) on my phone but am unable to do so on my iPad. This is causing me a huge inconvenience.

Please can anyone advise me how to resolve these issues?

Many thanks

7 REPLIES 7

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

@Tirkiz 

Are you referring to wifi you connect to via Home Broadband and coffee shops etc ?

Is this all wifi connections or just particular ones like at home ?

If so try forgetting the network in the iPhones connection settings and then re set up.

Also if your router allows it split the frequencies in the router to 2.4ghz and 5ghz and then try hooking to one and then the other to see if that helps.

An Apple Genius Bar at an apple shop can test the iPhone for you.

If the iPhone was supplied by Vodafone and is under the 2 year warranty they can send it off via a Vodafone Highstreet Store, but first try the forgetting network tip and if necessary as a last resort back up to iCloud and restore.

However if this is hardware related then Vodafone or Apple are going to need hands on.

Check the settings on your iPad as I assume Vodafone didn't supply that so they wouldn't be stopping you accessing adult sites unless securenet from Vodafone is on it.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

My iPhone was previously on 3 and my home broadband has been with Sky & Virgin in the past and I had no problems with connection.

It's only since changing to a Vodafone sim/home broadband that the problem has occurred.

I'm not very technically minded so will probably resort to visiting the relevant stores.

Thank you for your quick response 

BandOfBrothers

You're very welcome @Tirkiz 

Do other phones connect to your Home Broadband wifi ok ?

As the phone wasn't supplied by Vodafone you would need to either go to an Apple Store or the network that supplied it if it continues to glitch. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

AnnS

Hi @Tirkiz 

From what you have written, the phone is defaulting to the previous network.  Presuming you have deleted the previous network from your icloud account and phone, try following this link from Apple Support:  Apple Support - Get help connecting to Wi-Fi on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.

Also more information from device guides here: Device Guides

As you have moved from 3 to Vodafone you will also need the correct APN data settings.  If you text WEB to 40127, this will download the correct APN settings to the phone.

There is only this 1 phone in the house.

I requested the APN settings as stated but am unable to download them as I need to be connected to wifi to do so...arrrgh

AnnS

@Tirkiz wrote:

There is only this 1 phone in the house.

I requested the APN settings as stated but am unable to download them as I need to be connected to wifi to do so...arrrgh

Yes you can.   The APN settings are for mobile data connection to the network and not WiFi.  Make sure you have mobile data turned ON in your phone settings.  

I would suggest you synchronise to itunes restore the phone and download everything from fresh, you probably have a lot of things on the phone for 3.  It's easy to do no need to go somewhere where you could well be charged.

Adriana0254
4: Newbie

Here's how to fix your iPhone connecting to a non-existent Wi-Fi network:-

1. Verify Network Existence:- Double-check if the network you're connecting to truly doesn't exist. Look for the network name on other devices to confirm it's not a phantom connection.
2. Restart iPhone and Router:- Sometimes a simple restart can resolve temporary glitches. Power off your iPhone and router, wait for a minute, and then turn them back on.
3. Forget Wi-Fi Network:- Go to Settings > Wi-Fi, tap the "i" icon next to the non-existent network, and select "Forget This Network". This will remove the network credentials and prevent automatic connection attempts.
4. Reset Network Settings:- As a last resort, try resetting your network settings. This will erase all saved Wi-Fi passwords and network configurations. Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. You'll need to re-enter your Wi-Fi passwords for all networks you use.

More effective instruction below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdA_qTkulYs&ab_channel=TheGeekPage