Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

CONTACT PHOTO SAMSUNG A8 2018

lindylou01
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi, I am trying to add a contact photo to my A8 not having much luck.  I did it yesterday but today its gone and I dont know what I have done.

So I hit on contacts - D for Derek.  Click on D, can see all contact details  last called etc

Above is an area where you can EDIT/SHARE.  There is no photo icon where you should be ble to click on and find a photo etc.  There was yesterday! 

Can anyone please help 🎅

10 REPLIES 10

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hello @lindylou01

That's weird that the option was there and then disappeared ?

I'm assuming your saving your contact to the phones storage and not the Sim card as sim card contacts only have limited options. 

Can you perhaps close the Contacts App down in your multi tasking and re launch it. 

Also sometimes a soft reboot by turning the phone Off and On can help with glitches. 

I'm using a different Samsung Phone to you i.e the Samsung Note 9 which is on Oreo and I've just checked and I see the photo option in my contacts app. 

I'm using the stock Samsung Contacts App. Screenshot_20181209-053636_Contacts.jpg

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Hiya  thanks so much for your reply.

I got this phone this week new.  When I transferred everything over and looked at my contacts there was the phot icon as per your picture so I added a couple.  As I said it then disappeared.  All my contacts now are only listed alphabetically with no option to add a pic.

I decided to add a contact and save to phone.  Hey presto, I got the photo icon and was able to add a pic - so that was a great help thank you.  I still cant suss out why all the other contacts dont show the photo option, its annoying me 🤔  I could add everyone again and save to phone ....

I was thinking of setting my phone back to default and starting over again.  I wonder if it would load with the photo option?  What are your views on this? I have always had Samsung so am familiar with how they work.

BandOfBrothers

You're very welcome @lindylou01

It certainly is a conundrum to what's happened if you've not saved the other contacts to the sim card. 

If you go back to default i.e factory reset then ensure you create back ups beforehand and remove any relevant Sd Card as a factory reset deletes your saved data. 

Current Phone  >

Hi again, 

So I have created a couple of new contacts, saved them to phone only and can add photo if I want so thats good.  My next question how can I save fhem to SIM as I thought it was always important to have numbers saved to the SIM?

Thanks for your info guys.

BandOfBrothers

That's usually within the creation of the contact as an option if it will allow it at all. 

A contact saved on the sim card will usually just be the name and number and will be a limited number of contacts that can be saved. 

Current Phone  >

hrym

Saving contacts to your SIM used to be the advice when transferring them from one device to another was a complicated process.   The SIM will only have fields for Name and Number (with limited characters), and certainly no photo.  The phone, by contrast, can store addresses, multiple numbers, email details etc and (generally) has no capacity limit (other than storage size) either.

Your best option these days is to sync with an online service, such as Google, so that everything's backed up.   If you use Google, your contacts will appear as soon as you sign in on any Android device and you only have one central store to keep updated.   As a precaution, I also periodically export mine (use the Manage Contacts option in the Contacts menu) and save the resulting file to another cloud service and my PC.

I'm not sure why you're not getting the Add Photo option, unless you have your contacts on both the SIM and the phone and it's sometimes accessing one and sometimes the other.  I'd recommend tidying everything up and syncing to (say) Google.

Hi, thank you so much for your reply.  I haved noted all your comments.

I have everything backed with Google and Samsung cloud so hopefully I shouldnt lose any of my stuff.

The initial problem I had re photo icon, still exists, unless I add a contact to the phone, not SIM but its no big deal now I guess!  It still bugs me tho.

If I were to change my phone again at any time, will phone numbers stored to my phone be transferred to my new device?

Thanks again 🎅

BandOfBrothers

You're very welcome. 

Backing up using Samsung Cloud will save the contacts that have been saved in your contacts app. 

When setting up a new Samsung phone one of the options is to use your previous back up. This will download your back up into the phone. 

A person can also use Samsung Smartswitch too. 

Also I use gmail too. 

There are google contacts too. 

Current Phone  >

hrym

@lindylou01 wrote:If I were to change my phone again at any time, will phone numbers stored to my phone be transferred to my new device?

Yes, as long as you're able to log into your Samsung account.  Whether you could do that on a non-Samsung device, I'm not sure - probably, but I wouldn't want to rely on it.

Edited to add: there are also transfer options when you set up a new phone - look in the main Settings menu.