Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Galaxy Z3 Fold Screen Cracking

Jacq196
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

My Samsung  Galaxy Z3 Fold phone is now just over 1 year old and already the screen is cracking in the Fold. The warranty is 2yrs.  I took the phone into my local Vodafone shop and was told I have to return the phone in person to the Samsung shop in Central London ! This would cost me a days wage (£240) as I'm self employed,  a train fare of £36 and a 3hr train journey plus walking time in London.  I  have a warranty. I bought the Device from Vodafone. I pay Vodafone.... why am I needing to go to all this time and effort plus expense to get an item fixed that's under warranty,  and purchased from Vodafone!? Do explain.... thank you. Jacqueline 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

You're very welcome @Jacq196  👍

All the Samsung Fold³ phone's have a factory fitted screen protector on them.

If you feel with your nail you should find the edges.

I help out on the Samsung Eu Community Forum and there has been a few owners with this happening too.

As you can see I've replied in one of thise threads highlighted by AnnS.

As I mentioned it also happened with my own Fold³ too.

As I mentioned and as supported by the link as Vodafone are the seller of the phone they are duty bound to assist you.

Don't get me wrong I'm sure a Samsung Experience Store or Samsung Service Centre would help too.

In some areas Samsung also offer a doorstep repair service.

I wish you all the best. Take care.  😎 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

View solution in original position

12 REPLIES 12

BandOfBrothers

Hi @Jacq196 

The same happened with my Samsung Fold³.

It's not the screen thats cracking but rather the factory fitted screen protector is delaminating. 

I removed mine and all is fine and this does not invalidate the 2 year manufacturers warranty. But the caveat is if you damage the screen while removing it then that will. It is easy to peel off. I use mine without one now.

• However Vodafone have a duty of care lf they supplied the phone as per the Consumer-rights-act-2015 so they should be looking after you as the first port of call.

So I removed mine and 3rd party protectors can be purchased from places like Whitestone Dome.

I'd the display js indeed damaged then Vodafone should be helping you.

Current Phone  >

AnnS

It would be worth reading these two threads from Samsung Community @Jacq196 

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/galaxy-z-fold-z-flip/z-fold-3-cracking-along-fold-after-less-tha...

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/galaxy-z-fold-z-flip/cracked-screen-fold-z3-after-opening-the-ph...

It is concerning the way you were turned away at the store when they should have sent your phone for a warranty repair and told to take the phone to a Samsung Store in London.  Although it is recommended to go to the manufacturer for a warranty repair as mentioned on the Samsung site here Samsung Repairs  there are other ways Samsung can repair a device.

Thank You AnnS for your reply. It was a concerning response yes....I have no objection to the phone returning to the Manufacturer but Vodafone should facilitate this.  I intend to take this up with them again....

Best regards Jacqueline 

AnnS

Yes @Jacq196 you are better off taking or sending the phone direct to Samsung, especially when it is such an expensive phone, they are much more understanding and have more leeway when it comes to doing an in warranty repair. As you can see on the Samsung link, Samsung will collect the phone or you can arrange for a postal repair.

Vodafone are a third party repairer and will have very strict guidelines to adhere to with regards to doing a warranty repair.  Any sign of physical damage will void the warranty and will prevent Vodafone from doing an in warranty repair.

Do hope you are able to get the phone repaired Jacqueline, it's disappointing for the fold to fail after such a short period.

Thanks again AnnS, I'll look into the Samsung repairs procedures,  as you say likely best route to take,  just very disappointed with Vodafone lack of help to even arrange for it to be sent to back to Samsung. I'm more disappointed with that than the appearance of a crack believe it or not. I half expected it however its not unusable yet but needs repair before the warranty expires. I won't be renewing my Vodafone contract when that's due. 

thanks again Jacqueline 

Hi BandofBrothers

Thanks for this response. 

I'm pretty sure I don't have a screen protector although I'll get Vodafone to check. I certainly can't see/ find the edge to peel off...

I will be taking this up with Vodafone as the response I received in Store is certainly not satisfactory and likely illegal as covered by warranty still..... very disappointing response for a £1500 phone !

all the best,  J

BandOfBrothers

You're very welcome @Jacq196  👍

All the Samsung Fold³ phone's have a factory fitted screen protector on them.

If you feel with your nail you should find the edges.

I help out on the Samsung Eu Community Forum and there has been a few owners with this happening too.

As you can see I've replied in one of thise threads highlighted by AnnS.

As I mentioned it also happened with my own Fold³ too.

As I mentioned and as supported by the link as Vodafone are the seller of the phone they are duty bound to assist you.

Don't get me wrong I'm sure a Samsung Experience Store or Samsung Service Centre would help too.

In some areas Samsung also offer a doorstep repair service.

Current Phone  >

I will check again tomorrow in daylight...and hopefully thats all it is. (I'll update). Otherwise I'll try the Samsung repairs route as AnnS suggests,, lack faith in Vodafone now. Much appreciate your help :Smiling:

Best J

BandOfBrothers

Again your very welcome @Jacq196  👍

Some people have had their whole inner display panel,  and battery replaced in order to deal with a factory fitted plastic screen protector that has failed which is a bit overkill in my opinion , which my assumption is because some Samsung Service Centres do not have a machine to replace the plastic screen protector.

I didn't want my phone being taken apart just to replace a plastic screen protector which is a consumable so I decided to use one without, and I may purchase one from Whitestone Dome in the future.

Best of luck.

Current Phone  >