Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Mobile phone only charging through Laptop USB

LesW
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi

I have a Vodaphone VFD 710 running Android 7.1.1.

Recently it stopped charging through the normal Adaptor so I tried different combinations of Adaptor and Cable.  Then someone suggested I try charging it using the USB port on my laptop and to my amazement it worked.   Having charged to 100% I then tried it again using my normal plug adaptor but it is still suggesting it’s not charging.

Clearly I cannot carry my laptop around so can anyone suggest what the issue is.

Thanks in anticipation

Les W

4 REPLIES 4

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Assuming there is no dust / debris in the charging port I'd suggest a back up and factory reset @LesW 

As Vodafone Highstreet Stores are temporarily closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic unfortunately you can't pop in to have it sent off. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

hrym

That's weird.   The first port of call would, of course, be another charger (and check the mains socket too!).   It doesn't sound like a charging port issue.

Before going down the route of a full reset, it would be worth shutting the phone down and restarting it - this will sometimes fix recalcitrant issues and is a lot less hassle.

DaneB
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

This happens all the time to me @LesW, like @BandOfBrothers has suggested, please check the charging port for any dust or debris - quick tip I use my Wife's earring to clean it out but please be careful if you're thinking of doing this. You wouldn't believe the amount that can fit in there.

@DaneB wrote:

This happens all the time to me @LesWtellthebell @BandOfBrothers has suggested, please check the charging port for any dust or debris - quick tip I use my Wife's earring to clean it out but please be careful if you're thinking of doing this. You wouldn't believe the amount that can fit in there.

The first port of call would, of course, be another charger (and check the mains socket too!).   It doesn't sound like a charging port issue.

Before going down the route of a full reset, it would be worth shutting the phone down and restarting it - this will sometimes fix recalcitrant issues and is a lot less hassle.