Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Mobile tethering, connect to laptop no internet

Dagger22
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi 

I'm having so much trouble trying to connect my laptop to the internet via mobile hotspot / tethering.

I can connect the mobile to the laptop and it recognises everything, but when I go to the browser it can't connect.

I've tried everything, so am at a loss.

Does anyone think that Vodafone are blocking me from doing this ?

Thanks

22 REPLIES 22

I used my phone - Vodafone smart V8 as the hotspot and used a Huawei to connect to the hotspot, came back with connected - no internet

hrym
17: Community Champion

I found this, from Tom's Guide, which might help:

https://forums.tomsguide.com/threads/mobile-hotspot-has-no-internet.449180/

Amanda
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello @Dagger22 

Our Unlimited Data Lite Plan is designed for light usage, such as small amounts of internet browsing and checking social media - it isn't suitable for more heavy data traffic such as streaming or using your device as a hotspot - we'd recommend changing to Unlimited Data Max for this. 

You can see more information on the Unlimited Data Plans here🙂 

hrym

@AmandaThat's true (and I've always struggled to work out whether unlimited data at 2mbps would ever be worthwhil), but does Unlimited Lite actually preclude tethering?   I'd assume the connected device would get an internet connection, even if it was then too slow for practical use.

Amanda
Community Manager
Community Manager

@hrym there's nothing in the make up of the plan that stops tethering, it's just unlikely it'll work due to the low speeds - there may be minimal connection on the tethered device, which in turn hypothetically means it wouldn't work at all.  

It'd be interesting to know if trying another SIM (that isn't on the Unlimited Data Lite plan or any capped plan like this) in the phone would make any difference. 

hrym

Thanks, @Amanda.   I also suggested trying the PC with a different phone (and therefore tarriff) if possible.

It's not quite the same thing, but my phone sometimes suddenly comes up with "connected, no internet" on my home wifi.   On those occasions, which may be down to local congestion, toggling wifi (on the phone) usually sorts it.

Otherwise, the OP may need to contact Customer Services just to check that there isn't a tethering bar on the account, although I'm not sure that such a thing exists - certainly not in user settnigs, anyway.

Hi just tried my sim in another mobile, and connected to it via my Vodafone mobile, it worked , which to me proves that the network/ SIM is ok and not barred in anyway, and that it must be my Vodafone smart V8 mobile that's the issue, I have reset all network settings, but the issue still remains, I can't tether / use a hotspot with this model.

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the update @Dagger22. When setting up the hotspot from your handset, are you following the steps in our online guide?

Hi 

Yes I have followed everything step by step

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for confirming this @Dagger22 👍 Can you pop us a message regarding this through Facebook at Vodafone UK, or on Twitter using the handle @VodafoneUK. One of our team will be able to take a look into this, go through troubleshooting steps with you and see what we can do to help get you tethered through your Smart V8 handset.