Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Pixel 3xl drops calls after half hour

Jengoddard
2: Seeker

My pixel 3xl drops every call (made or received) after exactly 29 minutes and 50 seconds. I don't know if this is related to phone settings, network or what so wondered if anyone had had similar issues or knew of a fix. It's a real pain in the backside as currently working from home and means I get cut off in every conference call!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

OLIVERSWWARD

Hi all, I have a Pixel 3 on Vodafone and have the same issue. I followed some advice to disable WiFi calling on my account (webpage) and on the settings on the phone. After a reboot I am now able to call > 30 mins! Hope that helps!

View solution in original position

474 REPLIES 474

Hi David,

I don't really know what to think now, your experience goes against my theory, unless as you say you may have been unlucky to have both sims on a bad server. I may have been lucky that my new contract was on a good server. I believe someone managed to get Vodafone to delete and recreate their account which solved the problem. I was unable to convince them to try this for me, but as I was quite early into my contract they agreed to end it without penalty. I pac'd my number to a temporary payg sim and took out a new Vodafone contract, pac'd my number back and it was all OK. I don't know if this helps you in any way, but I think Vodafone should be well aware of this problem by now and able to advise accordingly. Good luck. 

Hi. Thanks very much for taking the time to reply. Yes, that is helpful information. It's a weird one, as lots of people seem to have had different experiences/solutions. I may well try moving to another network, and then move back to Vodafone, just to see if it works. I'm not under contract, so no issues there. I've read that Sony released a successful patch for XZ1 Compacts that were supplied by Vodafone, but not for unlocked ones bought elsewhere, like mine. It's a great shame as I really love my phone! Apart from the expense, new handsets all seem to be huge, and are too big for my liking. Also, I may contact Sony, as apparently they have offered some good will gestures, on a case by case basis. Anyway, thanks again for your help. Kind regards, David.

David, you may be able to secure a new phone from Sony but don’t expect that to definitely resolve the problem. Sony very kindly provided me with a brand new flagship phone last September (Xperia 1 III) and 4G calls still drop at around 30 minutes. Yes, I get about another 10 seconds!! My new device received another OTA software update this morning and a test call dropped at 30 minutes and 2 seconds.

OK. That's interesting info'. Thanks. I suppose if they would replace my handset, I could sell it unopened on eBay and put that towards a Vodafone supplied handset. That would at least help offset the cost. No idea what I'd buy though. Phones are just too big these days, IMHO :Sad_face:

Has it been confimred the end of march replacement has happened ? I have a Sony XZ3 , and got booted out last week - and it's now April

Hi Steven,

No-one has confirmed anything. This is the problem; well, part of the problem. Firstly, calls get cut-off, but then Vodafone (a communications company) doesn't communicate any information.

I spent two hours last weekend for nothing. Absolutely promised by the Tech guy that what he did solved the problem. But no. Same issue. I've tried twice this week - I still get cut off at 29m 50s.

Neil.

I've put up with this for ages, even my old Sony, so it maybe a handset manufacturer, chip type issue interacting with Vodafone. Its become a nuisance recently

having to phone and hold more often and longer. Hoping my next new (Sony) might be OK. Don't feel any loyalty to V. And their sim deal is looking expensive, but it's the roaming inclusion I need, and despite being shafted by the recent zonal and prices  changes its still the most cost effective abroad. 

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi everyone, I wanted to let you know we're still chasing this with the dedicated team who are investigating this for us. I'd like to apologise again for the time this is taking and for any inconvenience this is causing in the meantime.

Rest assured I'm continuing to follow up with the team and once I have any further updates I'll get back to you on the thread here.

@Tash

Thank you for the message, but this is making no sense to me.

On 1st February 4.36pm, you told us about the root-cause of the problem which had been identified (equipment on your network). This equipment was being removed by the end of March which would resolve the problems.

I tried several times in April and my calls still get cut-off.

Why is it now that a so-called dedicated team (so dedicated, that it is taking over a year to resolve a problem!?!) is now investigating, when several months ago you had a root-cause? I have attached a screenshot of your message.

Several people including myself have contacted OFCOM already.

The complaints procedure with Vodafone is pretty much useless, sadly and as customers we are trapped. You take our money but deliver a terrible service. I understand that every business has issues and problems, but this is utterly appalling and beyond a joke.

Even some monetary compensation would go some way to appease the situation, but I guess this isn't the way Vodafone works either.

Very sad.

Neil.

Hi Tash. Please add me to the list of people with this issue. My XZ1 Compact drops 4g calls at 29:50 exactly, and has been doing so for nearly a year. Luckily I was able to cancel my new 24 month sim only deal, and I'll be leaving Vodafone if this isn't sorted. I have spent HOURS with online chat advisers, who each assure me whatever 'solution' offered will definitely work, but it NEVER does! The latest is you sent out a new sim, which as I suspected did not work. Utterly appalling, and no sign that Vodafone has a clue how to solve it. I am using 3g calls via the my Vodafone app settings, as it's the only way to make a call longer than 29:50!