Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Pixel 3xl drops calls after half hour

Jengoddard
2: Seeker

My pixel 3xl drops every call (made or received) after exactly 29 minutes and 50 seconds. I don't know if this is related to phone settings, network or what so wondered if anyone had had similar issues or knew of a fix. It's a real pain in the backside as currently working from home and means I get cut off in every conference call!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

OLIVERSWWARD

Hi all, I have a Pixel 3 on Vodafone and have the same issue. I followed some advice to disable WiFi calling on my account (webpage) and on the settings on the phone. After a reboot I am now able to call > 30 mins! Hope that helps!

View solution in original position

474 REPLIES 474

Thanks for trying the code. We'll feed this back and we'll let you know as soon as we get an update. 

Hi @Tash. My XZ1 Compact still drops 4g calls at 29:50! I just tried it. The phone is on the latest version of Android (9). There will be no further Android updates for this handset. It was bought new (unlocked) from carphone warehouse. I have no idea how to contact you on social media, but I'll try. Please get this sorted. At least you seem to understand the issue, which is refreshing. (There's no point me phoning Vodafone as no one has a clue).

For anyone else having this problem, and who wants to make an official compaint against Vodafone (as I am doing), CEDR/ Modria is the independent arbitration service that Vodafone is signed up to: (https://cedr.modria.com/). It's an easy process. Don't bother going to Ofcom, they won't help you. Sad it's come to this, but I've pretty much given up any hope of Vodafone ever sorting this out. This has been ongoing for well over a year, and I've spent at least 30 hours(!) of my time on pointless resets, sim card swaps - you name it, I've tried it. Truly awful:(

I have a Sony XPERIA XZ1 (not the compact). I purchased it directly from Vodafone as part of a contract upgrade. It is running the latest version of Android available and has had all cumulative updates installed. I am still experiencing the issue, and cannot make an outbound call lasting longer than exactly 29m50s. I have no idea who your tech people are deriving there assurances from in terms of Sony handset users. And what exactly does 'highly reduced' mean? Can you give us some numbers here to indicate the scale of the issue? To be quite honest seems Vodafone just continue to make things up as it goes along - Software/hardware/settings/handset/user error when the only common denominator here is Vodafone... Utterly appalling a year on and nothing in terms of action or resolution. 

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Thanks for letting me know @donnydeadlight. I've been unable to locate a message to us from your Community username - have you since messaged into us via Facebook or Twitter? I'll be picking up the details sent over through either of those channels as it's important the team have these to resolve the issue.

The team advised me that the usage they're monitoring shows the issue has been reduced from 25% to 3% as of 16 June. I have a feeling this may be due to those affected using workarounds to make outbound calls for longer than 29 minutes and 50 seconds, so I'd like to update them to say this isn't resolved and provide the details they need.

Without the requested details I'm unable to escalate this further and I'm keen to resolve this for you all. 

@neilhunter14 Thanks for confirming for me Neil! As they've also requested for details such as your name and mobile number, please drop us a message with the above when you can on either Facebook or Twitter. As we're unable to take these details via a public forum, once we receive your message this will be flagged to me by my team. I can provide your information to the team who can investigate further so we can implement a fix, and I can keep you updated from there too.

@Tash  I have sent a DM via the Facebook page with my Name, mobile and a link to this thread.

As my phone has been starting to slow-down and behave a bit oddly over the last few months, I've decided to do a full Android OS reinstallation this weekend to get it back like it was when new.

Regards,

Neil.

My Sony XZ3 does the same. I've a Z10 to migrate too, but it looks like I'm going to be getting the same.

I dread being on hold as it ticks towards 29m. 

Must be some odd compatibility issue. 

Also stuck with Vodafone for the Roaming deal - and also being shafted on the Roam further changes despite the complaints last year. Their SIM deal is looking expensive otherwise, particularly as cant travel at the moment. 

OLIVERSWWARD

Hi all, I have a Pixel 3 on Vodafone and have the same issue. I followed some advice to disable WiFi calling on my account (webpage) and on the settings on the phone. After a reboot I am now able to call > 30 mins! Hope that helps!

Hi, got new sim and no difference, I have been speaking to Vodafone on facebook and they have advised me to do all that I have done.    Saw the reply re Wifi calling...went into my account and saw that this was activated......I was unaware of this, but I did upgrade so it must have been activated again then.

Anyway, long story short, I did manage to stay on the phone for 33 mins.... :-), I am hoping its not a one off like it was the last time.   Thank you Oliverswward.

thanks.  I've gone into my phone settings - found WiFi call settings - its' on OFF.  so not the issue.  any other suggestions?

I understand that it is because you have WiFi calling enabled on your account not your phone