Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Pixel 3xl drops calls after half hour

Jengoddard
2: Seeker

My pixel 3xl drops every call (made or received) after exactly 29 minutes and 50 seconds. I don't know if this is related to phone settings, network or what so wondered if anyone had had similar issues or knew of a fix. It's a real pain in the backside as currently working from home and means I get cut off in every conference call!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

OLIVERSWWARD

Hi all, I have a Pixel 3 on Vodafone and have the same issue. I followed some advice to disable WiFi calling on my account (webpage) and on the settings on the phone. After a reboot I am now able to call > 30 mins! Hope that helps!

View solution in original position

474 REPLIES 474

Just a quick and probably final update from me guys. I've still got the problem and really don't see it getting fixed anytime soon on my phone i've already run a test build of Android 12 which is supposed to be coming out to all in the next few weeks for this Xiaomi/POCO handset and it's still the same. The CEO office took my complaint pretty seriously though especially after I told her that the problem was the same on a Voda store brought handset and proved i'd returned one.  Still deny it's a network change that's caused it despite phone working fine for 2 months but whatever, she took me out of contract and said I can upgrade to another phone or cancel without penalty now. It's not exactly what I wanted which was just for this phone to work properly on Voda... But can't complain about that especially considering I know this phone will work on another network properly. Just a shame they make you jump through so many hoops to even prove there is a problem!

I don't have the July update avioable ony find x2 pro yet but had the below response from oppo.

"Thank you for contacting OPPO!

We understand that you have a Find X2 Pro on Vodafone and the calls are dropping after 29 or 30 minutes.
We are sorry to hear that, and we understand how inconvenient that is, but rest assured as we will do our best to assist you out of the concern.

We are aware of this issue and we do apologize for it and we assure that our software team is working on it. It is an issue related to VoLTE Calling on Qualcomm chipsets.

We understand that you have already cancelled the Wi-Fi Calling, but we kindly advise you to follow the steps below:

Settings > SIM card & Mobile network > SIM > Preferred network and select, if possible, the 3G/2G auto.
This action should fix the issue because VoLTE will not be available on 3G.

To be clear, VOLTE means voice over LTE.

LTE is 4G/5G, so 3G will not have it and hence will avoid this issue.

For faster network connectivity, for web browsing etc., we kindly advise you to switch back to 4G/5G after a long call.

That is a little inconvenient but it is the only way to get around it until a new software is released and once more we do apologize for the inconvenience.

This issue will be fixed with a new update OPPO will push at some point.

Thank you for your patience and understanding!
Please let us know if the steps above helped you."

Waiting for the July update but the above work around should allow you to use the phone for more than 30min, have not tested it yet myself. 

That's good news @mdc1983uk I am glad they will release you from the contract. What do you think you'll do? Move network or swap to a different phone. 

I am still weighing up my options as what's the best thing to do, knowing that it's probably going to be a long time for them to resolve the issue. 

@KayleighH  Haven't decided yet to be honest, i'm a little scratching my head with the post from @a5ian300zx where Oppo have acknowledged it as a Qualcomm chip problem with VoLTE.... While that may be something to do with it, it right doesn't explain how mine worked for 2 months. Or why it would also affect WiFi calling. Or why Vodafone themselves having been aware of the issue for over 2 years haven't made such a effort to sort it out where we know it only happens on their network. In fact it's opened a lot more unanswered questions than resolved.

What do you class as a good deal? Cheapest sort of thing i've found was unlimited data, mins, texts with 3 for £16/month on a 12 month SIM only plan with £40 cashback which knocks the price down to like less than £13/month. Seems pretty decent not sure what you were paying on Voxi. I've got a friend bringing a contract 3 SIM to me tomorrow to test out the signal, data speed, whether 4G and WiFi calling works for more than 30mins etc.  If it works with my 4 month old phone i'll probably go there, especially if I have 5G signal at home.  If not i'll upgrade with Voda take a different brand handset and keep my fingers crossed that 2 months in it doesn't produce the same problem!

The deal I have with Voxi is very good. It's 15gb data plus unlimited social media and unlimited texts and calls for £10pm. I know 3 do very good deals but unfortunately they do not cover my OH's parents area which is when I need data the most as they have awful WiFi too which no one else can connect to. (They live out in the sticks!)

I'm tempted to give it a little bit longer to see if Vodafone do try to sort it or do I cut my losses and go to EE which I know do work and support WiFi and 4g calling on my handset. However EE are more expensive for sure and do not offer anywhere near as good a deal. 

@KayleighH  You need a new OH thats what it is 🤣🤣 Seriously though you don't have many options if Voda signal 99% you'll get O2 because as someone already said they share most masts.  EE will cover pretty much everywhere because they are the one's that will be running the ESN network for blue light services so anywhere they will need to use radios there will be some EE signal for them and they'll likely slap consumer masts up under the ESN masts because why not - the gov pay for the ESN masts through that contract. All pretty expensive though I was seeing some £30/month SIM only prices with them! Everyone else just piggybacks off one of the other 4 networks so not much help.

Best thing you can do really is work out how much social media data you use and whether you can take the hit on getting that taken out of allowance where Voxi wouldn't. My plan was to get rid of the house internet next year when the contract was up and use hotspot on the phone. I use a ton of data but I also don't expect to be cut offline for every call if i'm running a hotspot cos of going back to 3G. Daughter and my Xbox alone some game updates are like 15Gb! She really ain't impressed if my phone rings and VoLTE is turned off and she gets kicked offline.

Haha so true! 🤣

Yeah I would like to go to O2 as they do some pretty decent deals but I don't think 4g calling and WiFi would work on my phone without the O2 firmware. 

Currently looking at how easy it would be to flash O2 firmware to my phone but at the same time, although I'm pretty good with technology, I have never done anything like that before and wouldn't want to risk bricking my phone! 

Definitely sounds like you will need lots of data then for your needs. So glad Vodafone have taken you seriously and released you from the contract without penalty. 

To be fair they have listened to me on social media and it does seem like they are trying, but who knows if they know what the fix is. They need to talk to the Oppo people to find out what was in that upgrade that resolved it! 

Test it out @KayleighH . Get yourself a £1 fish and try it out if you don't know anyone on O2 already. No guarantee it won't fail after 2 months though. But every network does their own thing, different hardware, different core network equipment. Fact is 4G will be the future and thats what ESN network is based on. It's also going to be the base layer of all mobile networks calling and data when 3G switches off. 4G and 5G aren't so different, totally different tech to say with 2G-3G or 3G-4G while they were struggling to merge different tech into one. It's why they are all dying to get rid of 3G as soon as reasonably practicable - to switch those old frequencies over to 4/5G. 2G will remain as a skeleton service for really old smart meters and alarm systems etc. The sort of thing that sends 1kb of data every hour to say i'm still here. Isn't going to be something people want to be calling over or using internet on that's for sure.

Yep 4g definitely is the future and potentially WiFi calling as well. Voxi have advised that my Poco does not support WiFi calling which at the moment I can live with, but I can't live with 4g calls dropping all the time and although switching preferred network is fine as a work around right now, they really need to try to get this resolved. I hope that because a few of us have been bringing it to their attention, they will continue to look at it seriously. 

Thats too many digits for the dialler. Still says invalid number  anyway.