Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Pixel 3xl drops calls after half hour

Jengoddard
2: Seeker

My pixel 3xl drops every call (made or received) after exactly 29 minutes and 50 seconds. I don't know if this is related to phone settings, network or what so wondered if anyone had had similar issues or knew of a fix. It's a real pain in the backside as currently working from home and means I get cut off in every conference call!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

OLIVERSWWARD

Hi all, I have a Pixel 3 on Vodafone and have the same issue. I followed some advice to disable WiFi calling on my account (webpage) and on the settings on the phone. After a reboot I am now able to call > 30 mins! Hope that helps!

View solution in original position

474 REPLIES 474

Hi Mark

Please add the Oppo Find X5 to your list to investigate

No issues using EE or 3 SIM's -both sail past the 29min 50sec cut-off without issue

Hi Lord Snooty,

It's definitely a problem with Vodafone and has not been experienced with any other network. 

I use have a Voxi sim which uses the Vodafone network. I would move to another provider if I could find someone that offers a deal as good as Voxi. 

The only current work around is for a member of the Vodafone team to turn off a setting at their end for WiFi and 4g calling. I requested this via Facebook messenger and they did this very quickly for me and it did resolve the issue. The only concern will be when Vodafone turn off their 3g network. It may be at this point I will need to change provider.

Please do not let anyone fob you off with "it must be the phone" as it definitely is a network issue not a phone model issue.

Thanks @KayleighH 

I figured it was an issue after the 3rd '29m50s' cut-off

Just praying that Vodafone get on the case

Not hopeful after reading some vigorous investigation from other sufferers and still no further forward

Yeah unfortunately doesn't look like it will be resolved any time soon. It's been going on for at least 2 years with no resolution. 

I think the more people that raise the issue the better though.  

@KayleighH @Lord_Snooty  Yes it's exactly what i'm worried about when they turn 3G off and its still unresolved back to 2G and party like its 1999 I assume 😂 . It's also extremally inconvenient to pay for unlimited 5G data and be restricted to 3G speed whilst on a call! Some people have SatNav connected to WiFi hotspot etc which barely works and doesn't at all on 2G.

I've had enough and seen as I know when this problem started on my phone and know how to do so, i'm downgrading the firmware back to what it was on when it came out the box and actually worked.  If that sorts it we know its a bug that Android/Google have introduced with a software update.  If it doesn't work then Vodafone are literally lying and have done something themselves from their end to the network or account. I will update when i've done so, got to wait a few more hours to unlock the bootloader on my phone to allow it to take downgrade.  It will also allow me to put some custom versions of Android on it as well so i'll try unofficial Android 12 that we still don't have!

Vodafone admitted it was their equipment on 1st February 2021 at 04:36pm when @Tash posted:-

"I've also been advised the equipment on our network which is the root cause of the issue is being removed, with a completion date being end of March to wipe out these instances regardless of which Android version your phone will be using."

Thanks for the update @mdc1983uk .

It will be interesting to hear your findings

Seems odd that we now have Pixel ,Sony and Oppo as know sufferers (and a onePlus i think)

My money is on a Vodafone problem

I can't undertsand why their engineering group hasn't replicated the problem with any of the mentioned phones

Yes @PayPro I saw this. Infact i've gone back and read the whole sorry thread now it's shameless. Crazy that phone I brought in Apr22 worked for 2 months then starts with a problem thats been known about for 2 years. Is why I will try to downgrade my software to what it was on out of the box to prove one way or the other if it's a software update which has caused it.

I also predict what happened to @neilhunter14 "And just to rub salt into the wounds, becasue the Tech guy terminated and refreshed my connection/service, my contract went beserk and you have taken the princely sum of £87.40 out of my account. I want an immediate refund please." is about to happen to me.

They did the same to me with that terminate and refresh and now it's says my bill is predicted to be double what it was meant to be, like they are taking previous month plus 1 in advance like it's a new contract. I'm going to go crazy with them if that happens!

@Beth @Tash

And as expected guys it was nothing to do with the software updates received. I downgraded my firmware to 13.0.1 which is the original it came out the box with in April and 4G calling was working for longer than 29:50 until June as my billing records show. But now 13.0.1 software still cuts off after 29:50!!!! So how can my original software that worked April-June now not work UNLESS ITS A NETWORK FAULT???!

Vodafone you are actually caught right out here, nothing about your customer service or technical support even adds up at this point. Supposedly removing stuff from network by March last year that would solve it for everyone? Saying it's manufacturer problem when clearly it isn't! MY PHONE WORKED APRIL-JUNE and now it doesn't. You've had 2 years to sort this out and are still sellling phones that either have the problem or gain the problem a couple of months into the contract?

I pay for unlimited calls and data on 5G!!! Yes I accept 5G isn't fully rolled out yet so would be using 4G for the foreable future what you are now expecting me to do is use 3G on a unlimited Max plan and then 2G when you switch the 3G network off? I don't think so! Someone really needs to get on here and explain what the heck the problem is

My gosh now I think I see what's happened!! Everyone with this problem check your IMEI number at https://www.vodafone.co.uk/set-up-4g-calling/

My IMEI now says it's not compatible yet it was compatible when I brought it!!! And it is compatible, because it does 4G calling (for 29 mins at a time!!!). And it did 4G calling for an unlimited amount of time at the start of the contract when it said it was supported.

Are we sure someone at Vodafone or some automated system isn't just blacklisting IMEI's that weren't brought directly but would otherwise be fully compatible?  Can we manually add my IMEI back to the list where it says my phone is compatible and test that?  These Xiaomi phones especially don't even have a branded software what you buy direct comes with the exact same software as without. There literally is only EU or Global software.  Looks to me like peoples IMEI are getting blacklisted some time into the contract and instead of fully not working they are cutting off after 29:50. 4G calling either works or it doesn't it can't work but only for a time. But this would explain why people are suddenly coming into the problem if their IMEI eventually gets put on the not compatible list??