Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Samsung S21 WiFi speed

DLF65
4: Newbie

I've just got the S21 5G - all set up and after running a Speedtest today I notice the WiFi speed is hugely variable, I am getting anything from 25Mbps to 328Mbps download and 28.4Mbps to 118Mbps upload! On my S9 I typically had the higher end all of the time.

Any idea why this is so variable? I have run the tests in the same part of the house with no change in connected devices over the course of 1 hour this afternoon.  The changes happen in between the tests. Then after the drop in speed if I disconnect WiFi and reconnect a few minutes later, the faster one comes back. All very strange and wondered why this is the case, which is worse than my old S9 so still debating whether to keep or return the S21??

7 REPLIES 7

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Is the phone connecting to 2.4ghz or 5ghz  ?

Is the speeds severely affecting your usage experience on Home Broadband Wi-Fi ? 

There are many troubleshooting tips via a Google search and possibly some via a forum search that might help @DLF65 

What's your speeds like on Mobile data  ?

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

According to the details on my router (via 192.168.1.254 etc.) It's connected to 2.4Ghz.

The thing that puzzles me is the fact that it can be really good 1 minute and then much slower the next with no obvious changes. 

i.e. Located in the same place and nothing else connected to the router.

Mobile data speeds are 12Mbps download and 11.5Mbps upload.

I'll keep searching as you suggest.

hrym

The issue I have is with link speeds, which can drop as low as 1mbps.   Refreshing the connection usually fixes it, but it's a pain. 

hrym

Wifi speeds to vary according to load and also sometimes channel interference.   I have several devices that connect to my PlustNet router, which is a rebadged BT one.   HTC, Sony and Huawei are generally fine (albeit with the occasional drop-out), but my Moto G fairly regularly drops speed and needs to be re-connected.   It didn't have that problem with the previous, and very old, Linksys device, so I suspect there's an incompatibility issue.

Farai
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey @DLF65 👋 Have you found any new information regarding this? Please let us know. I'd also recommend checking out the Samsung community for some further insight.
If you're not able to rule anything else out, we can help you run through some troubleshooting step via our Social Channels here, all you need to do is drop us a message 👍

Thanks - I haven't really changed much but just accepted it for now.

I will check out the help you suggested though thanks.

hrym

As a matter of interest, what router do you have?