Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Samsung S8+ Video Calling

Dennyjo8
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have read so many posts on this issue, dating back to 2016, and I still can't believe Vodafone has STILL not resolved the problem!!!  

I am not able to make video calls on my new Samsung S8+, I have spent hours 'chatting' to both samsung and vodafone to try and get a solution - the latter have apparently never heard about there being an issue (and they were the technical team which doesn't bode well, as clearly no on is looking to resolve it!!!).  

I put my sim into my boyfriend's new S8 (to O2) and it worked perfectly - which obviously backs up the fact that this is to do with vodafone locking their phones and the firmware they use to do that.  

The solution I've been given is that I should send my phone away to samsung to 'investigate' - as I'm out of 30 day cool off this would mean I'm without a phone for 2 weeks which just is not do-able.  So I'm pretty much stuck with it!

It would be helpful if any moderator on the site could answer a few questions - 

a) if Vodafone have known about this issue for years and still not resolved it - why????

b) if there is a solution being worked on - when will it be available to us loyal paying customers who have been with vodafone for years??

c) will we be receiving any kind of compensation for not having this feature when it is clearly something that samsung support and alledgedly vodafone do too?  ( I have been repeatedly told that it's not vodafone's fault as they have activated the right settings on my account for me to be able to use video calling!

I also wondered if anyone else had tried getting their vodafone handset unlocked to see if this solves the problem? I have requested my unlocking code, I don't expect vodafone to refuse me!!!!

99 REPLIES 99

Hi @Josh,

There is no error but the problem is there is no option al all to make a video call.

Please the attached picture at the bottom only 2 options available either Call or Message.

Kind regards

Vicky R

AnnS
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi @vicr76

In order to make video calls, you need to download Call +, this is something I notice you are not using from your screenshot.  Please see below.

Vodafone Calling

What is Vodafone Call+ and how can I get it?

As an alternative, there are applications to download from the Play Store these include Hangouts and Skype (dependent on the person you are video calling also using the application).

Hi @AnnS,

Thank you for the info provided but this is not what I'm talking about as this is an app from Vodafone and this will only allow you switch to a video call not allow you to make direct video call and I guess that also possible if the other person as well is using the same network.

But my issue is with the option available on dailer (please see attached picture highlighted in yellow). Display units available in store got exactly the same otions but it is not available on the handsets provided to customers as they include Vodafone's bloatware when display units are directly provided by Samsung.

Regards

Vicky R

Vicky it is like banging your head against a brick wall with this. I have argued exactly what you have just said in past messages, as have others. Vodafone just don't want to admit their fault. I for one will not be renewing with them when my contract runs out!!

Josh
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@vicr76 I can see from the attached images this should appear on the main interface for the dialler. However, this isn't the case with your handset as it is the one in store.

So we can identify if this is a settings preference, please can you advise whether your able to expand further options in the dialler which will allow you to make a video call directly? i.e. Is there a 'more options' button in the initial dialler interface? 

Hi @Josh,

Thanks for replying back.

To be honest, I don't think this is the issue with only mine or few handsets but this is the case with all Vodafone supplied handsets since Samsung S6. The hande sets at store got this option as they are not Voda suppluied handsets but are direct from Samsung so they don't have any Voda bloatware.

I have swapped 4 - S6s, 3 - S7s and 3 - S8s with the same issue and even head office agree to take return of my hanset after 8-9 months into contract with S6 as they submitted that there is an issue with Voda's software which I did but this issue never got sorted.

We including staff in 3 diffrent Voda stores checked and tried all setting but with no success.

Any way I have attacheced 3 pictures with all available options on the phone and a particular contact which is on Voda and included in Wifi and 4G calling list. Also for your info the phone (Samsung A8 2018) for this contact also don't have option to video call.

Kind regards.

Vicky R

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

We're unable to view the pictures added to your post @vicr76, please re-post these and we'll be able to help you further.

Hi @Mark,

That is strange as I can open them on my browser.

Anyway I will attach them again.

Kind regards

Vicky R

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

That's strange @vicr76, I would assume the option wouldn't be available of your handset wasn't set up for the video calling feature. So we can make sure you're correctly set up, please confirm you have Wi-Fi calling activated on your phone and both devices are in a 4G area, displaying 4G connection?

Hi @Mark,

I really appreciate the time you taking to sort this out but I don't understand form beginning of this post why everyone is asking to BOTH phones. This is a inbuild function in the phone so doesn't matter if the phone is on 4G or Wifi call activated the option to video call can't just appear or dissapear if ther options are available or not. That means if I switch off my mobile data or pot phone to Flight Mode and then open my dailer there there will be no option to call or message as well.

Video calling was introduced befor 4G and it was always displayed on dailer even on the old models like Samsung S2 ans S3 which don't support 4G. But for now with S8 if you check in my pics at the top it shows connected to 4G and my Wifi calling is also working fine but not 4G calling which never worked on my phone.

Kind regards.

Vicky R