Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Text messages on internet

amsr
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have a Doro phone running Android, pay as you go.  I have no mobile reception at home but I can use my (BT) broadband internet to use some of my phone functions.   However, only some text messages appear.  For example, I can send a text message to my partner (who has an iphone) but not receive one from him!  Recently I was using the NHS web site on my laptop, it insists on sending text message codes. From some parts of the web site (e.g. to get a COVID test result) I can get the code on my phone via the internet, for others (e.g. to get a certificate of vaccination)  I can't.  By the time I have climbed the tree opposite my house to get a signal  the code has timed out. Why can I not receive all text messages via internet, please?

5 REPLIES 5

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @amsr 

At a guess you are sending an iMessage this way: How to text with iMessages on Windows 10 

As far as text messaging is concerned, you would need a mobile data connection, text messages are sent through the network to the text messaging centre for forwarding on to the recipient.  When it comes to NHS update messages, they should also be able to send these an a email notification.

As mobile reception is poor at your location, Vodafone offer WiFi calling with text messages but you would need a phone to support the services here: WiFi calling 

Thanks for the reply but sorry I do not fully understand it.  I am using my laptop for the NHS web site but in order to get certain information I have to enter a code sent by SMS, there does not seem to be any alternative e.g. to send the code by email.  I can connect my phone to my home WIFI and use the normal SMS text message function to send a message and receive some text  messages but not others (and I can make and receive voice calls).  I do not understand why I cannot receive all text messages.

AnnS

Hi @amsr 

This is confusing, you can't send and receive SMS messages over the internet, the messages are sent over the mobile network.

You may be using an application, such as WhatsApp where you can send messages and make calls over a WiFi data connection. Alternatively, you may have limited network available, just adequate for the phone to connect to the network to receive and send an SMS message.

This sounds more of a network issue, check out this thread Network Queries and complete the pro forma this will give the Social Team something to work on.

Thanks again for your help.  Sorry, I should have been clearer: I believe that I am using what you call wifi calling but I set it up from my phone's functions, as the Vofafone page does not list my phone manufacturer (Doro).  But the text messages I do manage to send and receive at home all appear on the same list as text messages I send and receive when away somewhere where there is signal.  I am not using anything like Whatsapp.   Also, there is no reception where I live because there is no mast within range - it is not a temporary network failure, it is "a feature not a bug".   Anyway, if there is no solution I can work around it - the NHS will send a paper certificate for what I want this time.  Apologies for taking up your time.

chistery
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

A Doro phone running Android will not be using iMessages on a Windows 10 PC.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Doro phone was so far behind in updates that it didn't support SMS when using WiFi Calling.

If you have no Vodafone signal at home, it's worth looking at other networks. Ask people who come round if they have signal, for example.