Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone WiFi calling advice in need of update

schmadam
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Just sharing some info that may not be obvious (it wasn't to me, although it seems so now). This is Android 12-specific. [EDIT: I think this is more specific to Google's Phone app as I'm not using the Samsung Phone app but in previous phones/Android versions/apps the WiFi Calling setting has been easy to find]

I've spent hours on the phone to Vodafone since buying a Samsung Z Flip 3 in January trying to get WiFi calling to work. It is enabled on my account but I couldn't find the setting to enable it on the phone. Web searches led me to requesting an OTA configuration message to enable it and each time I tried nothing happened. The Vodafone device guide told me to look in the phone settings but the WiFi Calling-specific setting wasn't there. I spoke to support (Sanjay was brilliant) and, although very keen to help, they only had the same advice that I had already found online or other fairly obvious suggestions to try.

What I hadn't noticed was that the device guide page was specific to Android 11 and my phone is on Android 12. [EDIT: also the page is geared towards Samsung's phone app, not the Google Phone app, another oversight on my part! On previous phones I could easily find the WiFi calling setting to use in the Google Phone app but on my current phone it is neither searchable in Settings nor availabe in the Google Phone app settings, however]...WiFi Calling is now enabled in the Quick Settings dock that appears in Android when you swipe down from the top of the screen.

I hope this info helps someone who has the same problem I had. And to Vodafone, it's probably worth updating the info on your device guide as new Galaxy Z Flip 3 phones will likely come with or be be updated to Android 12. I humbly take this back!

5 REPLIES 5

WelshPaul
16: Advanced member

The option to enable or disable WiFi calling is also found in the phone app. (3 dots > settings).

Not on my phone it's not. The only place I have it is in the Quick settings dropdown.

I'm now wondering if it is, as I thought, a change in Android 12 or something else. Samsung's own advice is that the option is in Phone Settings but it doesn't appear there at all on my phone.

WelshPaul

Are you using the Samsung phone app? If so, is your phone a BTU device or network supplied?

I'm using Google's Phone app. I've just opened the Samsung Phone app and see the WiFi calling setting in there so I take back my claim that Vodafone's advice is outdated.

Still, maybe someone will find this useful. As part of my troubleshooting I put my SIM in my old Sony phone, which also used the Google Phone app, and the WiFi Calling setting is easy to find. I've wasted so much of my and support's time trying to get to the bottom of this!