Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Wi-fi enabling on Samsung S7 phone

Tony911
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hello. I have been trying to enable my S7 to be able to make calls over wi-fi. After numerous 'chats' and three voice calls to VF I have been told that it is because my S7 was not purchased from VF it cannot be enabled to make wi-fi calls. As anyone come across this before and can anyone advise if it would be possible to alter my phone to ensure it can be set up for wi-fi calling?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Not wanting to celebrate to soon but I think my problem with making wi-fi calls on my S7 has been solved. Yesterday I decided to do a check/update of my phones software via hard wire, rather than via wi-fi. Was uncertain that this would help but decided it was worth a try. Re-booted and 12 hours later re-booted again. I then did the following:

Opened "settings"

Selected "Connections"

Selected "apps"

Clicked on the 3 dots (top right of screen)

Selected "Switch on System apps"

Scroll down to the first of 3 Phones and select

Select "More settings" at bottom of drop down box

Select and enable "Wi-F-calling"

Back to home page and re-boot.

I left my phone overnight and when I checked a small phone/wi-fi icon had appeared on my home screen. Tested calling and is appears to work as one would expect. 

Lets hope that the issue is resolved completely, my thanks to all the helpful posts.

View solution in original position

6 REPLIES 6

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @Tony911

Back when calling over WiFi was first introduced one of the criteria for the eligible Samsung phones was that it had to have been supplied by Vodafone directly. 

Thus stipulation has now been removed from the support page so I must assume that's no longer a requirement. 

Link > Vodafone wi-fi-calling

Does anything in this help > How-do-I-set-up-Wi-Fi-Calling-on-a-Samsung-phone.

Also look in your online my Vodafone as there is a section to toggle that feature On and Off. Some have found it helpful to turn it Off for 24 hours and then turn the phone Off and On and toggle it back on in your myvodafone 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Hello - thanks for taking the trouble to respond to what is fast becoming a very frustrating issue!! I have gone through the procedure to ensure my phone has everyhing set up as it should be, but when I Switch on Wi-Fi Calling in my settings and then go to Phone > Options > Wi-Fi Calling is not shown and I understand it will be once VF activate! VF tell me all is set up with them and I should be able to enable my phone. My confidence in the ability of their agents to advise is not high, first i was told that it wasnt possible to enable my phone as it wasnt purchased from VF (I have since checked and it was), second, I have now been told that I require a working Sure Signal box to be able to activate wi-fi calling!! Someone please enlighten me if this is the case!

BandOfBrothers

Hi @Tony911

You're very welcome.  :Smiling:

I note you've accepted a solution for your thread ? Is this correct?

Going from the link I added in my earlier reply....

For WiFi calling a person needs....

"To take advantage of Wi-Fi Calling, you need:

A Pay monthly Red Extra or Red Entertainment plan, a Red or Red Value Bundle, Red+, Business Value, Business Extra, Business Premier or Business Black.

A compatible device:iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus or iPhone SESamsung Galaxy A3 (2016 and 2017), A5 (2016 and 2017), S6, S6 edge, S7, S7 edge, S8, S8+, or XCover 4"

The whole point of calling over WiFi is to make calls over an available WiFi connection. 

A sure signal device creates a 3g signal in the home that works off home broadband. 

Both are avenues to become connected to the network. 

One does not rely on the other.

There are some fairly recent threads from other members discussing calling over WiFi. One talks about turning off voicemail which helped them. 

Here are a couple but there are more I'd a search is run on the Community Forum. 

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Android/wifi-calling-s8-plus/td-p/2558107/page/11

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Android/A5-Wifi-Calling-missing-option/m-p/2551705

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thanks. Hope I havent given the impression that my problem is solved - far from it! Yet another call to VF support this morning and the same general answer: "all activated at the VF end, will send you information on what to do at your end" or "take it to a VF store and they will do what is required" unfortunately living on an island off the west coast of Scotland might have many benefits but it does mean i am 3 hours from a VF store! All i require is good tech guidance on what I should do at my end. Can see others have had similar problem, surely its not rocket science to enable/fix the problem. I continue to try!

Gemma
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Tony911 - I’m sorry to hear the issues you’re having with getting this sorted.

So we can access your account and help further, please send us your details by following the instructions in this private message.

Not wanting to celebrate to soon but I think my problem with making wi-fi calls on my S7 has been solved. Yesterday I decided to do a check/update of my phones software via hard wire, rather than via wi-fi. Was uncertain that this would help but decided it was worth a try. Re-booted and 12 hours later re-booted again. I then did the following:

Opened "settings"

Selected "Connections"

Selected "apps"

Clicked on the 3 dots (top right of screen)

Selected "Switch on System apps"

Scroll down to the first of 3 Phones and select

Select "More settings" at bottom of drop down box

Select and enable "Wi-F-calling"

Back to home page and re-boot.

I left my phone overnight and when I checked a small phone/wi-fi icon had appeared on my home screen. Tested calling and is appears to work as one would expect. 

Lets hope that the issue is resolved completely, my thanks to all the helpful posts.