Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

WiFi Calling - poor quality

BlackDuckMartin
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have used SureSignal for some time as I have no mobile coverage in my house. This has failed a couple of times recently so I ordered a new Moto G8 Power so that I could use WiFi calling and ditch the SureSignal. 

It is working in that I can make and receive calls, but the line quality is dreadful. I have a decent broadband connection (25Mbit download 4Mbit upload) and am right next to the router, so I should expect a better quality of connection. 

Does anyone have anyone have any suggestions of what I should try, or do I need to ditch Vodafone and go elsewhere?

6 REPLIES 6

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Have you considered changing wireless channel to see if that helps.

Calling over Wi-Fi normally kicks in if signal is way too low or non existent.

Perhaps consider turning on flight mode and then switch Wi-Fi back on and see if that helps @BlackDuckMartin 

From vodafone-wi-fi-calling 

"17. We also cannot guarantee specific levels of performance and the call quality will depend on the number of other devices connected to the wireless internet connection. "

Is your SS not working at all ? Which version is it ?

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

I'll try the flight-mode suggestion but that will be a real pain if it's the only way it will work.

The SureSignal is still working, but has twice recently failed and needed to be reset to factory settings. Vodafone have dropped this as a solution, so I can't rely on it forever. As I live remotely and have no mobile signal I can't afford for the SureSignal to fail and leave me without mobile coverage, so I am pre-empting that scenario. 

SureSignal has always given me good call quality so I won't accept that it has anything to do with me broadband connection.

I've tried setting flight mode and then turning wi-fi back on and it definitely improves the call quality (in a limited test of 1 call!).

I'm not sure that I understand why, and whether I want to have to do this every time I come home is a big question.

Going into flight Mode cuts all network connection so the phone isn't trying to hang onto network and letting Calling Over Wi-Fi take full control is my guess @BlackDuckMartin 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

hrym

How are you managing to get wifi calling on a G8, may I ask?   I have the Plus model and it isn't available, as far as I can see - didn't think it was available on the G range at all.

I bit the bullet and ordered a G8 Power directly from Vodafone just so I could get this to work. As best I can tell WiFi calling is largely limited to specific phones supplied Vodafone. I had been using a Moto G5 and it certainly wasn't available on that.