Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Wifi calling for Nokia G42

edderick
2: Seeker

Hi

I recently started using a Nokia G42 with two ~SIM cards. The wifi calling has definitely worked sometimes worked on either SIM, though more-often not.

Problem to solve: I really need to be able to make this predictable as I live in an area with a very weak mobile signal. 

I read somewhere that if there is a tiny mobile signal then the wifi-calling will automatically disable itself. I don't know if that is really what is happening though it does fit the symptoms. Typically, say as often as not, if I check the settings I will find that wifi-calling is off for both SIMS.

I've tried:

1.  exploring Settings/Network and Internet/Calls and SMS/Wifi calling  -  I can see that in principle these settings appear to allow both SIMs to make and receive calls over wifi. I have tried this and I have also tried enabling wifi calling for just one SIM at a time - no improvement.

2. looking the Vodafone device guides. There is a section called "Turn Wi-Fi calling on or off" though it only lists the Nokia G50 and Nokia 2.3. I have looked at both of these anyway, the instructions look compatible with my phone though they both say "select 4G (LTE) as network mode" which leads to a separate guide.  I've checked that guide and the nearest thing I see for the Nokia G42 is a setting that allows me to select any of "5G/4G/3G/2G/auto" OR "4G/3G/2G/auto" or "3G/2G/auto" etc. My phone has been set to "4G/3G/2G/auto" all this time (factory setting I think)

Any ideas?

3 REPLIES 3

EleanoraIsabell
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hello,

It seems like you've already taken some steps to troubleshoot the issue with wifi calling on your Nokia G42. Here are a few additional suggestions you can try:

1. Check Wi-Fi Connection: Ensure that your phone is connected to a stable and reliable Wi-Fi network. Weak or intermittent Wi-Fi signals can affect the performance of wifi calling.

2. Update Software: Make sure that your Nokia G42 is running the latest software version. Software updates often include bug fixes and improvements, and updating your device may resolve any issues related to wifi calling.

3. Restart your Phone: Sometimes, a simple restart can help resolve connectivity issues. Try restarting your phone and see if wifi calling works more consistently afterward.

4. Reset Network Settings: You can reset the network settings on your phone to default. This will remove saved Wi-Fi networks and Bluetooth devices, so you'll need to reconnect to Wi-Fi after the reset. To do this, go to Settings > System > Reset > Reset Wi-Fi, mobile & Bluetooth.

5. Contact Customer Support: If the issue persists, it may be worth reaching out to your mobile carrier's customer support. They may be able to provide specific guidance or check if there are any known issues with wifi calling on your particular device in your area.

6. Check for Carrier Updates: Sometimes, carrier-specific settings or updates are necessary for features like wifi calling to work optimally. Check if there are any carrier-specific updates available for your Nokia G42.

7. Factory Reset (as a last resort): If all else fails, you can consider performing a factory reset on your phone. This should be a last resort, as it will erase all data on your device. Make sure to back up important data before attempting a factory reset.

Remember, if you are uncertain about any of these steps, or if the issue persists, it's a good idea to contact Nokia's customer support or your mobile carrier for further assistance. They may have specific insights into any known issues or solutions related to wifi calling on your device.

edderick

OK, I'll work through the list when I have a moment.

As importantly though,

1.  does this reply mean that, specifically for the G42, you already think that it should work and that there are no other less obvious settings that need to be correct? 

Given that if I do a software update or reset network settings it is quite random as to what this will change and whether it could make it work even less well than present, so I don't think its sensible to make changes without knowing what they will do beforehand.

2. What is a Carrier Update and how would I find out about it?

AnnS
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

The reply you received above was a Al generated,  against Community guidelines and looks like a straight copy and paste from Chat GPT and is probably not entirely correct.

From the sound of things you need your account checked.  A quick message to the Social Team though social channels with  link to the thread to save you repeating everything get you direct help and support here: Contact Us