Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

YouTube app not opening ......

blackshuck
4: Newbie

YouTube app won't open on my Vodafone X9 - tried uninstalling

updates , but then just get a screen telling me an update is available - won't let me use an earlier version . Sent a message to the developer - presuming its an app issue that I can't do anything about .....

Anyone else getting problems ?

6 REPLIES 6

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

I'm using a different phone with Android 11 on it but it works fine on Wi-Fi or Mobile Data.

You could try clearing the cache of the app and if your phone allows it clear the system cache files of the phone which might help.

When deleting an app off your phone also delete it from your MyLibrary in your Playstore @blackshuck 

A very last resort is to back up and factory reset.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

hrym

I've had Google apps fail to operate properly occasionally and clearing their data from Settings|Apps almost always does the trick.   You won't lose anything apart from any settings you've customised.   It can also help to clear the app from the recently-used list as this will remove it from memory completely and force a full reload.

Cannot totally uninstall this app on my phone , but uninstalled updates ; cleared cache & data - then reinstalled updates - app does sometimes open after a considerable time lag , but when trying to adjust settings , let's me adjust some , but when I try to go into general setting , app stops responding every time .......

hrym

What happens if you run it without the updates installed - does it work then?   Also, what version of Android are you using?   Google apps won't generally update beyond the OS's capabilities, so that shouldn't be a problem, but it would be useful to know whether you're on an older version.

Originally when I tried running the app after uninstalling all updates , I just got a screen telling me that updates were available ( i.e. it wouldn't let me run the original version ) 

- now if I try , I get an error message

( 400 ? ) ....

My phone's running Android 8.1.0 - which I guess is getting a bit ancient now .......

hrym

Andoid 8 is certainly older, but I've been using 7 and had no problems (there are apps that won't run on 6, but that seems to be the most recent version that has issues).   I'd expect YouTube to work.

This is a bit of a mystery.   I assume Vodafone shops are now opening, so it might be worth dropping in and asking them to have a look.  Staff technical expertise varies, but it may be something that's easy to sort when you have the device in your hand.