Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

"Error downloading Vodafone Updates"

Kippets
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Over the past week I have begun receiving daily alerts, "Error downloading Vodafone Updates". When I tap on the alert I am taken to the "Start" app which has an error message telling me that "Updates is discontinued" and "Please update to remove this app from your phone". But when I try to update, I receive an error reading "Error downloading" with a "TRY AGAIN" button. Clicking the button gives the same error.....

How do I either update or block the alert?

8 REPLIES 8

hrym
17: Community Champion

Vodafone Start has, I believe been discontinued.   Are you able to uninstall it?  If not, can you simply disable it? 

Unfortunately it can neither be disabled or uninstalled being a Vodafone app and continues to give me an alert each and every day....

hrym

If you go Apps in the device settings menu, is there an option to turn off notifications?

I also have this issue on my daughter's s5... Says it's discontinued and to update but then fails to update.

Can't disable, can't uninstall, can't stop notifications...  

@ Vodafone, can we please have a solution?

Thx

Evie
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey there @Capirex650 - The Vodafone Start app should eventually uninstall itself. It may be worth making sure the device itself has the most up to date software and give it a restart 👍

Hi Evie,

This isn't specific to the Vodafone Start app (we've been able to disable that) but the related Vodafone updates app. 

The phone's running the latest o/s for the S5 and this continually comes back after a reboot. This is also just after doing a factory reset on the phone. 

Paul

hrym

The problem, as I understand it, is that the Updates app is trying to update Start and can't.  The solution should be to get rid of Start, which ought to have uninstalled itself a long time ago.   As you're only posting now, I wonder whether the phone has been unused for some time and that process has simply been lost in the mists of time.   The S5 is quite old now, so I'd assume that, as long as it was kept updated, it's probably got as far as it can.

The obvious solution would be to turn off notifications in the Update app, but I don't know whether that's possible.   Recent versions of Android exercise a lot more control over how apps behave and there's quite a lot you can do pre-emptively that wasn't previously possible.   Can you disable the Updates app at all?  (AFAIK, if only works on Vodafone apps and probably isn't critical).   If none of this is possible, I fear there isn't much more you can do.

What version of Android is it running?   I'm finding that more and more apps need Android 7 and above, so it's possible it's coming to the end of its useful ife anyway.

AnnS

Hi @Kippets 

I shouldn't worry about this, with the Application being discontinued at the beginning of the year you will find the Application will eventually uninstall itself.