cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

wi-fi calling: continuous notifications it's available - how to stop it?

cdl
4: Newbie

I have an unlocked Huawei P20 Pro, dual sim (CLT-L29). Wi-fi calling works with Vodafone, EE and Three, but Vodafone is the only network which causes constant notifications to pop-up on my phone, to let me know that wi-fi calling is available. I could maybe understand that a notification appears the first time I connect to a wi-fi network (even though no such notification appears with the other 2 mobile operators), but why I sometimes get 3 notifications in 5 minutes, when I am 2 metres from the wi-fi router and with a perfect wi-fi signal, is beyond me.

Does this happen to other people? Is it a Vodafone thing? Is it the combination of Vodafone + P20 Pro? Is there a way to stop it?

I limited it this way:

setting -> apps -> more -> show system processes -> phone -> notifications -> wi-fi calling and disable all the options (display in status bar, etc.)

but some notifications still filter through.

Thanks!

108 REPLIES 108

Was there an update for this?

chistery
16: Advanced member

Still happening in this week's p30 Pro update, .178.

It's almost like Vodafone haven't even looked into it.

I think it's fairly clear that Vodafone have no intention of fixing this.

Mobile operators don't give a stuff about existing customers, they just want to attract new customers. Is fixing this going to attract new customers? No. Therefore it is not a priority.

And for the next installment of this sorry saga with a mobile network operator demonstrating as usual that they don't give a stuff about existing customers...

Update EMUI 9.1.0.311 with "Important settings and apps" from Vodafone came down the pipes yesterday.

Guess what. Has the Wi-Fi calling enabled notification been fixed? Sort of. Wi-Fi calling has been removed altogether so you won't get those pesky notifications any more.

Had wifi calling on my old Samsung on EE. No problems, no issues. Switch to a Nokia 7.1 on Vodafone and am told it's  not supported on the Nokias. But will be updated. Never was.

Now back with Samsung and I'm  reading this thread.

Vodafone clearly don't prioritise wifi calling as a feature. Sorry Vodafone when your signal is as bad as it is in rural areas it's extremely important.

I'll be back with ee at the earliest opportunity as this bug, despite what the moderators may tell us, won't get moved any time soon

I have a P20 Pro and this has been bothering me for a while.

I live in a poor reception area and had a SureSignal booster, but that just blew up so I now rely on the WiFi calling capability. I have the Sky Q mesh WiFi all around the house so have a strong WiFi signal but I still constantly get the WiFi enabled notifications.

I've got all the latest updates (currently on 9.1.0.328) and I cannot find a way to disable the notifications and keep WiFi calling enabled.

Please can someone advise on how to turn off the notifications for WiFi calling and keep it enabled. Or fix the bug and make it work properly.

Hi there.

Because Wi-Fi calling ignores the notification settings and gives you the system default notification every time, the only way you can achieve this is to set the system default to "silent". You then have to go through each and every app that gives notifications and change their settings where possible so that they now give a specific notification rather than the system default.

Fixing the bug? That's unlikely to happen now. It was brought to Vodafone's attention in December last year (9 months ago) and it's not been fixed yet. I would love to be proved wrong but the chances that it will be fixed at all are remote to non-existent. Also, the update to Android 10, when it does drop for the P20 Pro and eventually gets approved by Voda, probably won't solve the problem because it lies in the operator-specific parts of the O/S.

chistery

The fix? Move to another network that doesn't have this bug. Wifi calling works fine on my P30 Pro with EE, however Vodafone have shown no interest in fixing the bug that is only affecting them.

Hi, has this issue been fixed yet? It's been a really long time and is incredibly annoying.

@Mark wrote:

I'm disappointed to see there are still so many of you experiencing this issue. Our Tech team are looking in to this and as soon as there's a fix, an update will be released.

When you say the Tech team are "looking in to this", and it's nine months after the bug started, what does that mean, specifically? Are they doing Epstein and the Panama Papers too?

I've got my new phone along with this problem, I've Googled how to fix it and the answer appears to be "you can't fix it, and we aren't going to fix it".