cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

wi-fi calling: continuous notifications it's available - how to stop it?

cdl
4: Newbie

I have an unlocked Huawei P20 Pro, dual sim (CLT-L29). Wi-fi calling works with Vodafone, EE and Three, but Vodafone is the only network which causes constant notifications to pop-up on my phone, to let me know that wi-fi calling is available. I could maybe understand that a notification appears the first time I connect to a wi-fi network (even though no such notification appears with the other 2 mobile operators), but why I sometimes get 3 notifications in 5 minutes, when I am 2 metres from the wi-fi router and with a perfect wi-fi signal, is beyond me.

Does this happen to other people? Is it a Vodafone thing? Is it the combination of Vodafone + P20 Pro? Is there a way to stop it?

I limited it this way:

setting -> apps -> more -> show system processes -> phone -> notifications -> wi-fi calling and disable all the options (display in status bar, etc.)

but some notifications still filter through.

Thanks!

108 REPLIES 108

chistery
16: Advanced member

@kofsw4 wrote:

@ajpd wrote:

Re the long press on the notification solution... The problem is that this only works until the next reboot and also it switches off all phone services notifications - so - for example - Voicemail icon and calls forward icon are suppressed also. Driving me mad on a mate 10 too

My notifications don't reappear even after a reboot

Mine used to come back when I first got my P30 Pro, but since a recent upgrade they haven't, so it could be the version of code the Mate 10 is on?

The problem on mine is that even if it doesn't come back, switching off the phone services notifications means (in my case at least) icons for new voicemail  call forwarding on and maybe other events are no longer displayed 

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

This is something we're continuing to chase with Huawei - once we have any further information, we'll add this to @chistery's previous thread. I'm sorry for the amount of time this is taking, however please be assured it's something we're aware of and are communicating with the manufacturer to resolve this.

Natasha, this isn't a Huawei problem, it's a Vodafone problem. These Huawei devices do not exhibit this problem unless there's a Vodafone SIM in them, which causes them to download Vodafone-specific settings and code.

If you're chasing Huawei about this, that probably explains why it's now only two weeks shy of a year since the problem was brought to Vodafone's attention and it still hasn't been fixed.

chistery

Just to add, still not fixed in Android 10 on the P30 Pro. Wifi calling does work at least.

I found a solution for this that is permanent and not just a work-around.

Get the phone unlocked, do a factory reset and put a SIM from a competing network operator in it. Problem solved.

chistery

I have an unlocked P30 Pro with a BT Mobile SIM in it and a Vodafone SIM. The BT one works as expected for Wifi calling, no notification, just change of carrier name, whereas Vodafone still does the constant notifications.

@chistery wrote:

....The BT one works as expected for Wifi calling, no notification, just change of carrier name, whereas Vodafone still does the constant notifications.

Which is why I'm never having a Vodafone contract again. Barely acknowledging the problem let alone fixing it. 

chistery

Vodafone have said it's how it's meant to work! Useless response from them.

Luckily I live in an area where there's good signal and wifi calling rarely kicks in. I was at a Heathrow airport hotel last week and my phone went notification crazy! I couldn't put up with that all the time.

The annoying thing is, it's only with this generation of Huawei phones that you have this problem.

I stuck the Voda SIM in an unlocked Samsung S7 Edge and Wi-Fi calling worked exactly as it should.

If you factory reset the P20 Pro and put another operator's SIM in it, it works as it should.

If you factory reset the P20 Pro and put a Vodafone SIM in it, it starts by downloading some Vodafone-specific bloatware and Wi-Fi calling is problematic. Conclusion: it's the Vodafone-specific bloatware that is causing the issue.