Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

4g on iPhone 5 handset

Mel74xxx
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi I recently upgraded from iPhone 5 to 6, my partner also has a Vodafone 4g contract but his mob is damaged so he is using my iPhone 5 handset now! Will his 4g still work on this? Surely the sim is 4g ready and the phone should work???

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Phil
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi everyone, 

Just a quick for anyone reading this post.  4G is now available from Vodafone on the iPhone 5 :smileyvery-happy:

Thanks, 

Phil

View solution in original position

34 REPLIES 34

Sadly not, it's a different sized sim. I have used my Sisters Sim however and that works but she's on EE so doesn't really help me. It does at least prove that the hand set is working though.

Hello @clockworkmoggy

I see, thank you for trying :Smiling:

I would suggest heading into your nearest Vodafone store and requesting a new SIM to fit your phone - this way you can test if the SIM is at fault. 

Louise

I've already done that. I have a new brand new sim as I stated in my earlier post, still no joy. 

I headed into my local store and asked and the woman told me that iPhone5 is not 4g compatible regardless of the tariff provider. I didn't want to argue with her as she seemed quite adamant that she was correct so I left.

Hello @clockworkmoggy

Phil is correct - 4G is now available from Vodafone on the iPhone 5 :Smiling:

Apologies for the confusion,

Louise 

So Phil was wrong?, The reason I joined this discussion was based on Phils post earlier on this board ...

Great stuff so how do I activate it on my handset??

Hello @clockworkmoggy

If you don't see the enable/disable LTE option in your iPhone 5 settings, you won't be able to receive a 4G signal.

To fix this, you need to update your carrier settings, which is easy - just follow these steps:

1. Make sure your iPhone 5 has an internet connection
2. Tap Settings then General and then About. If an update is available, a prompt will appear as below:

3. Tap OK to install the update.
4. Hold the Sleep/Wake button down until you see Slide to power off
5. Slide to power off
6. After the device powers off, hold the Sleep/Wake button to turn your phone back on

Please also check that 4G coverage is available in your area through this link - Network Coverage Checker

Louise

kids
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)

@Retired-LouiseE May I correct the instructions you gave to update the phone please?

After step 3 DO NOT carry out step 4 as that will interrupt the update.

After clicking OK for the update do nothing other than let the phone update itself, if is is passcode protected you will be asked to enter the passcode to continue the update.

The update will update the firmware of the phone, the phone will turn off and reboot itself so there is no need to follow steps 4, 5 and 6.

If possible do this while connected to iTunes as I always find that a more stable way to update the firmware rather than over wifi.

An iOS software update will NOT all of a sudden give you 4G on the iPhone 5. You will need to be in a 4G 1800 MHz (LTE Band 3) area which is not yet available everywhere. You may find some areas in the capital and larger cities are already live but the speed will not be as fast as the other base frequencies (800 MHz and 2600 MHz). Vodafone only have a small slice of 1800 MHz bandwidth so they will use it wisely to increase capacity in dense areas.

regards

Nick

Any idea if this is working yet, i have been to London a few times in the last month, made sure i have the apn setting in the handset correctly... got the latest update from Apple but still no luck... was able to use 4g while in spain with the same handset/number...