main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

This is a locked archive and content on this page may no longer be up to date. These posts and threads have been archived for reference only.

Archive

4g on iPhone 5 handset

SOLVED
View solved solution
Mel74xxx
2: Seeker

Hi I recently upgraded from iPhone 5 to 6, my partner also has a Vodafone 4g contract but his mob is damaged so he is using my iPhone 5 handset now! Will his 4g still work on this? Surely the sim is 4g ready and the phone should work???

View more options
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Phil
Administrator

Hi everyone, 

Just a quick for anyone reading this post.  4G is now available from Vodafone on the iPhone 5 :smileyvery-happy:

Thanks, 

Phil

View solution in original position

View more options
34 REPLIES 34
jeffkinn
17: Community Champion
The iPhone 5 is not 4G compatible and will never get a Vodafone 4G signal I'm afraid.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

View more options
evanowen
7: Helper

Is that correct? Mine received EE 4G and other operators have purchased that frequency.

View more options
63johnw
17: Community Champion
You can't get Vodafone 4G on the iPhone 5, other networks are different.
View more options
YorkshireRiffer
4: Newbie

Jeffkinn is correct... as are you.

The iPhone 5 will work on 4G for the 1800Mhz frequency (which EE, Three & now BT use), as the handset hardware has the required antenna to connect to this frequency.

If you have an iPhone 5 but are on Vodafone or O2 (who bid for and use the 800Mhz / 2600Mhz frequencies) then it won't work on 4G as it doesn't have the required antenna hardware.

As of the release of the 5S / 5C, all UK operators 4G frequencies were supported.

This Apple support link shows what handsets support what networks:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

View more options
Phil
Administrator

Hi everyone, 

Just a quick for anyone reading this post.  4G is now available from Vodafone on the iPhone 5 :smileyvery-happy:

Thanks, 

Phil

View solution in original position

View more options
clockworkmoggy

That's great New Phil, I've tried calling the Vodafone support team for help activating 4g on my iPhone5 but despite 3 different calls I'm still not running 4g. In fact the last call I made the rep told me that it was only a slim chance that It would ever work. I have a new sim. 4g is turned on in settings. 

Could you detail the process to activate 4g please. 

View more options
drey_p
16: Advanced member

The key thing here is that you need to be an area where there is 4G coverage.  Are you in such an area?

PWIAC

View more options
clockworkmoggy

Yes, my girlfriend gets strong 4g signal all over our house. She uses an android handset but is on the same tariff as I am also with Vodafone.

I have a new sim, I've followed all the information given to me by the vodafone support team and made sure that 4g is activated on my handset. 

View more options
Bluemoon98
1: Seeker

Hi Phil,

I am having issue with 4G on my iphone 5. I spoke to Vodafone earlier and I was advised that iphone 5 doesn't support 4G, which is different from what you said below.

Can you please let me know how I can get 4G on my iphone 5.

Thanks.

View more options
Retired-LouiseE
Moderator (Retired)

Hello @clockworkmoggy

Can you try inserting your girlfriends Vodafone SIM into your phone to see if you get the same 4G signal as her?

Louise

View more options
clockworkmoggy

Unfortuatly not, the Sims are different sizes. I can use my sisters Sim to get 4G but that is on EE so doesn't really prove anything.

View more options
clockworkmoggy

Sadly not, it's a different sized sim. I have used my Sisters Sim however and that works but she's on EE so doesn't really help me. It does at least prove that the hand set is working though.

View more options
Retired-LouiseE
Moderator (Retired)

Hello @clockworkmoggy

I see, thank you for trying :Smiling:

I would suggest heading into your nearest Vodafone store and requesting a new SIM to fit your phone - this way you can test if the SIM is at fault. 

Louise

View more options
clockworkmoggy

I've already done that. I have a new brand new sim as I stated in my earlier post, still no joy. 

I headed into my local store and asked and the woman told me that iPhone5 is not 4g compatible regardless of the tariff provider. I didn't want to argue with her as she seemed quite adamant that she was correct so I left.

View more options
Retired-LouiseE
Moderator (Retired)

Hello @clockworkmoggy

Phil is correct - 4G is now available from Vodafone on the iPhone 5 :Smiling:

Apologies for the confusion,

Louise 

View more options
clockworkmoggy

So Phil was wrong?, The reason I joined this discussion was based on Phils post earlier on this board ...

View more options
clockworkmoggy

Great stuff so how do I activate it on my handset??

View more options
Retired-LouiseE
Moderator (Retired)

Hello @clockworkmoggy

If you don't see the enable/disable LTE option in your iPhone 5 settings, you won't be able to receive a 4G signal.

To fix this, you need to update your carrier settings, which is easy - just follow these steps:

1. Make sure your iPhone 5 has an internet connection
2. Tap Settings then General and then About. If an update is available, a prompt will appear as below:

3. Tap OK to install the update.
4. Hold the Sleep/Wake button down until you see Slide to power off
5. Slide to power off
6. After the device powers off, hold the Sleep/Wake button to turn your phone back on

Please also check that 4G coverage is available in your area through this link - Network Coverage Checker

Louise

View more options
kids
Community Champion (Retired)

@Retired-LouiseE May I correct the instructions you gave to update the phone please?

After step 3 DO NOT carry out step 4 as that will interrupt the update.

After clicking OK for the update do nothing other than let the phone update itself, if is is passcode protected you will be asked to enter the passcode to continue the update.

The update will update the firmware of the phone, the phone will turn off and reboot itself so there is no need to follow steps 4, 5 and 6.

If possible do this while connected to iTunes as I always find that a more stable way to update the firmware rather than over wifi.

View more options