main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

This is a locked archive and content on this page may no longer be up to date. These posts and threads have been archived for reference only.

Archive

4g on iPhone 5 handset

SOLVED
View solved solution
nikiandemma
7: Helper

An iOS software update will NOT all of a sudden give you 4G on the iPhone 5. You will need to be in a 4G 1800 MHz (LTE Band 3) area which is not yet available everywhere. You may find some areas in the capital and larger cities are already live but the speed will not be as fast as the other base frequencies (800 MHz and 2600 MHz). Vodafone only have a small slice of 1800 MHz bandwidth so they will use it wisely to increase capacity in dense areas.

regards

Nick

View more options
TheRealMattB
4: Newbie

Any idea if this is working yet, i have been to London a few times in the last month, made sure i have the apn setting in the handset correctly... got the latest update from Apple but still no luck... was able to use 4g while in spain with the same handset/number... 

View more options
grolschuk
Community Champion (Retired)

I'm pretty sure it is working and still being rolled out in the big cities, I can't find it at the moment but other posts have shown success.

Areas of London, Bristol, Birmingham, Manchester, Glasgow, etc, are being made live, and I imagine it is a case of finding areas with spare 1800mhz capacity on the masts and doing them first.

As it worked in spain, the ability to activate LTE must be on your handset already, which is what the latest update should allow if the option was missing.

View more options
TheRealMattB

LTE is already active in the handset, the APNs are in the LTE setting in the phone...any idea if 1800mhz at HQ?..

View more options
nikiandemma
Do you mean at Vodafone HQ? If so, there would be no way of knowing unless you physically went there. To add, they do not show the different frequency layers on the coverage checker. It's been requested numerous times. Unfortunately it's a case of keeping 4G switched on and being lucky when you find it 😃
View more options
TheRealMattB
So I just have to walk around until I find somewhere with 1800mhz 4g then.... Anyone else on here able to shed a bit more light on this ?... Would like to be able to use 4g on this number
View more options
nikiandemma
Basically yes, the addition of 1800mhz 4G was not for iPhone 5 users, it's for capacity and coverage in-fills. Just so happens that the iPhone 5 can finally use it wherever available. With the imminent announcement of the predicted iPhone 7, a low cost upgrade to the 5S will solve all of your concerns and you'll have 4G on 800mhz as standard.

Note 5S does not support LTE Band 7 (2600mhz)
View more options
Afpriest2007
3: Seeker

I am not able to get 4G on my iPhone 5.  I have gone to Cellular, and Voice & Data.  It shows 4G.  The Vodafone map shows my home is in a 4G area.  But, it's never worked.  Can you help me out?  Thank you.

View more options
nikiandemma
Hi, per the previous comments, 4G on the iPhone 5 is only available in limited areas. Vodafones base 4G frequencies are not supported by the iPhone 5. Only recently has Vodafone launched 4G on 1800mhz (LTE band 3) which is supported by the iPhone 5. Currently this is only available in certain areas of large cities for capacity and coverage in-fills using existing spectrum and equipment.
View more options
Afpriest2007
3: Seeker
Thank you for the clarification.
View more options
TheRealMattB

Having spent the day in notting hill yesterday i can confirm that no 4G 1800mhz is available to use on an iphone 5...

Shame really... would be nice to be able to use this service but looks like its not ready just yet.. looking on coverage maps i can see no 1800mhz coverage anywhere so will wait for these to be updated at work..

View more options
sb300869
Currently Vodafone 4g is using the 800mhz and 2600mhz spectrum, however since June Vodafone has been rolling out 4g on the 2100mhz and 1800mhz in some areas. This is why some people are seeing 4g on the old iphone5.
View more options
TheRealMattB
4g is working and available in Richmond, 40mb down and 22mb up..
View more options
Constantina_Sam
1: Seeker

Hi Phil can you please revisit this article

View more options
Retired-LouiseE
Moderator (Retired)

Hello @Constantina_Sam

Can you elaborate on what's happened?

How can I help today?

Louise

View more options