Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

An SD Card??

bolo
12: Established

Hi. Does anyone know if the Vodafone Smart Ultra 6 takes an SD card? There appears to be a slot similar to the sim card one but this does not open with the supplied key.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Annie_N
Community Champion (Retired)

@bolo

It seems from Lee's post that it is the little key to open the SD card holder.

I HATE those fittings like poison! The trick is to get the angle absolutely right - get it as straight as you possibly can - and the tip of the key will find the spring catch that releases the card holder. You should be able to feel the difference when you've found the catch, as otherwise I think the key misses it and goes further in. Then you may have to give the key a surprising amount of welly, though go gently at first, in case welly isn't needed!

And do it over a tray, just so that the holder can't skid off and disappear down a crack anywhere. Also note the way it came out, so that you can be sure of getting it back in the correct way round. 

View solution in original position

10 REPLIES 10

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hey @bolo

Hope you are well.  :Smiling:

Acckrding to this link > Vodafone_smart_ultra_ GSMArena  it takes a micro SD Card. 

And the user manual supports this too. Link > User Manual.

image.jpeg

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Annie_N

@bolo

It seems from Lee's post that it is the little key to open the SD card holder.

I HATE those fittings like poison! The trick is to get the angle absolutely right - get it as straight as you possibly can - and the tip of the key will find the spring catch that releases the card holder. You should be able to feel the difference when you've found the catch, as otherwise I think the key misses it and goes further in. Then you may have to give the key a surprising amount of welly, though go gently at first, in case welly isn't needed!

And do it over a tray, just so that the holder can't skid off and disappear down a crack anywhere. Also note the way it came out, so that you can be sure of getting it back in the correct way round. 

hrym

I've yet to encounter a spring catch with a carrier tray.  Whenever I've done it, inserting the key simply pushes the tray out.  I can see how it would be tricky lining things up if there's a catch, though, but why bother?   If there's a spring, why not just go for a cover flap?

Annie_N

@hrym wrote:

I've yet to encounter a spring catch with a carrier tray.  Whenever I've done it, inserting the key simply pushes the tray out.

But how? You push the key in towards the body of the phone, and the tray pops out in the opposite direction, so the key must be releasing something.

Maybe it's pushing one end of a lever in, and the other end pushes the tray outwards? The only phone I've got access to at present with that fitting is the HTC M9, and I've just experimented with both the SIM tray and the SD tray - once I've nerved myself to push the key hard enough, I can feel something release, and the tray comes out a little. I can't now think what other phone I've met with it on, but on that the tray definitely came out more vigorously, and I felt that it involved too powerful a spring for the very small weight involved.

hrym

Me too, with both the M8 and the M9.  It doesn't seem like a catch releasing as the tray seems to come out as you push, rather than popping out on a spring.   Yes, I suspect it probably is a lever of some kind.   AFAIK it works the same as the SIM tray.   As it happens, I've just put a new card in the M9 (64gb in preparation for a car that doesn't have a CD player) and didn't have any trouble at all.  Yes, I do it on a desk, not over my lap!

I've always had mild concerns about the robustness of the spring catch system and take great care when removing the card in my camera.  I suspect that, and greater physical robustness of the card, is why professional SLRs still use CF.

It helped me

bolo

Annie_N said:

"you may have to give the key a surprising amount of welly".

How right you were Annie. Thanks so much.

BandOfBrothers

Good to hear you've managed. :Smiling:

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Annie_N

"you may have to give the key a surprising amount of welly".

This morning I realised I'd left the key on my desk - while putting it away, I noticed that it was actually bent, after my experiments yesterday.

The lever theory probably holds together better than the spring theory, but I imagine that the extent of the resistance reflects that the two card trays are a pretty snug fit into their sockets. The last thing you want is to find that either tray has fallen out and skidded under an immovable piece of furniture if you're unlucky enough to drop your phone.

And I have dropped every last one of my phones on day 1 or 2, because new phones tend to be so slippery, or perhaps just unfamiliar. I now order a cheap gel case at the same time as ordering the phone, to minimise the chance of damage.