Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Call barring

debbie1963
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

HI, hoping somebody can help.  I have a contract with 1000 mins and unlimited texts, the phone is in use by my son who has gone over on the mins allowance.  Is there anyway I can just block the outgoing calls but not the texts.  At the moment I have put on the bar to stop him making calls but this has blocked him from making texts as well.  Obviously as he has unlimited texts this does not need to be barred but I cannot find an option to just stop the outgoing calls but leave the texts on.  Hope this makes sense and thanks for any help.

8 REPLIES 8

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @debbie1963

It will be an outgoing call and text bar, you cannot just block calls.

You may be able to block outgoing calls from the call barring settings on the phone.

Thank you for your answer.  I was hoping to just block him making calls but still be able to text.  There is a text only bar option so I thought there might be a way of just blocking the phone calls.  Seems daft really.  Thank you again for your respone.

BandOfBrothers

Hi @debbie1963

Which phone is being used ?

There maybe some form of parental restriction in its settings.

Another option would be to provide a Vodafone Payg SIM card when the current minutes have been used. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Hi, thanks for replying.  He is using an iphone 4s.  Unfortunately a PAYG is not an option as I know he would just use the phone for calls (girlfriend!) and it would be gone in no time.  As he has unlimited texts on this contract I just wanted him to be able to have some means of contacting people.

Thanks again.

BandOfBrothers

Hi,

In regards to the iPhone this is the information to available Parental Restrictions. 

Use Restrictions on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

I appreciate what your saying about Payg. 

What about adking him to use options such as FaceTime which uses data to another iPhone. 

Or alternative options such as Whatsapp. > WhatsApp.com.

This does come down to responsibility and accountability. 

We do see similar posts here where a young person having the use of a contract sim can be expensive.

Current Phone  >

Thank you for your reply.  I will take a look at the restrictions on the iphone as you suggest.

As to the others, he does use them when he is on wifi but unfortunately he is going to stay with relatives for a few weeks and they do not have internet so although it is an option I don't want him going crazy or we will have the same problem with his data allownace 😕

Thanks again

BandOfBrothers

You're welcome. :Smiling:

Take care. 

Current Phone  >

AnnS

Hi @debbie1963

With the iphone being data intensive, if your Son is going to start using personal hotspot with the phone tethered to his laptop whilst away, you are going to end up with a terrific bill.

If you have installed the My Vodafone Appliction, it may be an idea to suggest to your Son that he monitors his usage by going into the Application, this will give him an indication of his remaining alowance.

It may be worth adding an extra 2GB data as a temporary measure, this will give him a little extra data to play with and will be cheaper than paying out of bundle for data above the allowance.  Please remember this is a roll over allowance and will need to be cancelled.

The other alternative is to contact Vodafone and change the tariff to something more suitable for his needs.  It may cost more but a lot cheaper than paying out of bundle charges.

There is further information for the extra data below.

Vodafone Extras