Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Can I block incoming 08 numbers?

PaulH2016
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

If so how?  Don't fancy this new scam where getting a 'missed' call can generate hundreds of pounds of charges to a high rate number.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Annie_N
Community Champion (Retired)

@PaulH2016 I've just had a look at my online account (PAYG). Under Manage services; Bars I have this

Capture3.JPG

which looks reasonably promising, although from the wording it may not block absolutely everything. You could try turning this on, until the present problem has definitely been dealt with.

View solution in original position

9 REPLIES 9

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi

Does your phone have a call / text blocking facility ?

Vodafone also have the Premium Rate Sms bar 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thanks but according to a cousin EE can and have blocked calls from 08 and 09 numbers to his mobile.

Also regarding the Vodaphone message, media reports (I know, I know) say that it is happening to people who DIDN'T call the number back, including some who say they weren't even aware of a missed call.  Even if they did call it back, who is going to hang on for 12 or even 3 hours?  No one, so if a brief call-back only to find out it is some ambulance chaser in Canada still generates a call apparently lasting several hours, then Vodaphone's systems HAVE been compromised.

Personally I never respond to missed calls unless it comes up as being from someone in my address book.  Doing otherwise is just stupid.

Apparently on my phone I can download an app to block calls from withheld numbers ... but of course these are not withheld numbers.

AnnS

Hi @PaulH2016

I guess you are referring to the International and Premium Rate Calling Restriction bar.  This will stop you making any premium rate calls to 09 numbers.

08 numbers are for special services calls and are not premium rate. You can find the charges for calling 08 numbers on the link below.

Vodafone PAYG Call Charges

No network can stop incoming calls to your phone, but it unlikely you will receive calls from any 09 premium rate numbers.

If you are concerned about any charges on your PAYG account, please use Live Chat for account access.

Annie_N

@PaulH2016 I've just had a look at my online account (PAYG). Under Manage services; Bars I have this

Capture3.JPG

which looks reasonably promising, although from the wording it may not block absolutely everything. You could try turning this on, until the present problem has definitely been dealt with.

Annie_N

A friend having been hit by the above-mentioned scam has rather spooked me, so I decided to turn on the 'Premium rate information call and text bar - incoming only', as my balance is much higher than usual in preparation for a trip to Canada, but my account tells me I'm not eligible!

Capture4.JPG

Maybe this isn't available to PAYG, or maybe it's something that has to be applied by CS, but I settled for the outgoing version, which I could select online, and which I hope would block charges if the scammers chanced on my number.

Like Annie_N I tried to set this bar - but I'm confused.  The bar is shown as being On, but the top of the screen gives the same problem message.

So I logged out ... and the screen gets stuck with 'Loading ...' and the broken circle.  But logging in via another browser page shows that bar as Off, so I guess I'm not eleigible either.

kids

@PaulH2016 The bars can be a bit confusing at the best of times or at least need to be made clearer.

I needed to respond to a sms from my bank last week but got "Content control is on" it wasn't, so on speaking to CS I was told to turn it on you have to turn it off and then turn it back on! Same with Premium rate texts. Turning the bars on and off did result in a confirmation text that the action had been completed.

It appears that on some bars (according to CS) when it shows as off it is on and when it shows on it is off.

Annie_N

When I opted for the bar on outgoing premium numbers, the Off changed to On immediately, but I think that is more of an acknowledgement than an absolute, as the message at the top said that I'd be notified once the bar was in place - and I got a text confirming it some minutes later, also an email confirmation that it had been activated.

Like @PaulH2016, when I logged in later, the incoming bar had reverted to Off, but the outgoing bar was showing as On after I had received the messages. So I'd suggest going for the outgoing bar online, and possibly calling CS to see if they can activate the incoming bar.

AnnS

Hi @PaulH2016

It is not possible to block or stop calls at network level.

If you are referring to the Vodafone announcement on the forum on the link below, Vodafone have identified the problem and are working with Ofcom and other network operators.

Unsolicited call charges

If it is an unknown number, you will not be charged when answering a call, you will only be charged for making a call.  Any genuine caller will always leave a message.  The rule is unless you know the number,  not to return the call. 

Fortunately, as you are PAYG, unless you had hundreds of GB£ credit, any scammer would only be able to take the available credit.