Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

HTC Desire - How to stop receiving texts from "50" with area phone code

bugs31
4: Newbie
I'm hoping someone can help me please as I can't find an answer on google.

I have had my HTC Desire for a couple of weeks but yesterday started to get text messages from the number 50 telling me the area phone code eg. "0118" if I'm in Reading. I normally get 7 of these texts in a row. I can't see any option to stop them and as I travel around areas quite a bit it's getting very annoying.

Any ideas would be great

Thanks
31 REPLIES 31

Retired-Martin
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi bugs31

I have got the HTC Desire too, and have never had one of these messages, I am not sure where these could be coming from.

Have you had these texts since you had the phone?
Have you subscribe to any services?

I have had a look on google too, but can't find anything there.

If anyone has experienced this too please let us know, as this is the first time we have seen this here.

To let you now bugs31, we do work on a first come first served basis, as we are very popular at the moment it is taking longer than normal to reply, there is no need to open a new thread with the same question as that will delay us in getting back to the original question.

Thanks

Martin
eForum Team

hi iv just started having the same happen to my phone , i have htc sensation xe started whe had android ics update

Hi, My fourteen yr old daughter has been receiving such texts for the past couple of months and now she is becoming very anxious about it. They have appeard with two different local area codes 1495 and 1443. Each time she has the opportunity to cancel or save. When she has saved them it's clear it has come from "50". Yesterday she received 117 of these texts in two hours. We really need to be able to stop this so any advice will be gratefully received.

Retired-Lee
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi there SianO,

Thanks for posting.

Has your daughter tried any of the suggestions in this thread?

The codes are for the Pontypool area having done a 'Google search' for these.

Ask your daughter to have a read through this thread for the earlier suggestions and let me know if she needs more help.

Cheers,

LeeH

Hi there, She did the "settings, call, cell broadcast" action immmediately and so far, thankfully, she has had no more texts! Her friend was also having the same problem and I think, with all the "cyber nasties" out there they were getting very nervous. Thanks for your reply and help!

Sian 

there is only way of turning off cell broadcast message in HTC desire X dual sim is take out the sim from your phone, put it in other phone which shows broadcast message disable setting like any old phones.
disable the broadcast setting, delete all the channels and restart the old phone.
now put the sim back in HTC desire XDS

VISHAL

bugs31
Thanks for your reply. I haven't subscribed to any services. About a week after getting the phone I downloaded sms popup which I really love and it was still working fine. It's only been the last couple of days that this has started. I disabled sms pop up but still get the messages. It's not like a normal text though. I get a message pop up and instead of saying who it is from it says "SMS message" then instead of a text it says "0118" etc. I only have the option to save or close. I normally press close but a couple of them I must have saved because they appear along with my other messages. There is no normal notification of a text being received though (ie. no symbol in the notification area) it just pops up.

Thanks for your help

bugs31
Has no-one else experienced this? It now means that I can't always access my messages. When I select messages instead of opening my inbox the screen dims until I press home.

If no-one on the forum can help does anyone know who I can contact for help?

Thanks

metal
Not applicable

Has no-one else experienced this? It now means that I can't always access my messages. When I select messages instead of opening my inbox the screen dims until I press home.

If no-one on the forum can help does anyone know who I can contact for help?

Thanks

Hi Bugs 31

I had this problem and could not find a way of getting rid of the area code SMS's. Even rang Vodafone technical Dept. who promised to ring back with an answer but never did.
Perseverance prevailed! and found it under :-
Menu.
Settings.
Call.
Uncheck Cell Broadcast.

Should cure it.