Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

How to get the most of out your Vodafone Broadband

H8ConnectRouter
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I recommend:

1 - Update the DNS servers (immediately!)

2 - Get a secondary Wi-Fi router (Vodafone’s can’t handle more than a handful of devices)

3 - Turn off the Vodafone Connect Wi-Fi completely.

4 - Get your secondary router configured to manage the DHCP and turn it off on the Vodafone Connect router.

1) First thing to do is to ditch the Vodafone DNS servers.  They are terrible - in that they are slow and have far too many hops making some sites unreachable.  This slows down your browsing slightly and caused latency for services such as Xbox live, which is a terrible thing.

I would advise using either Google DNS:

Primary 8.8.8.8

Secondary 8.8.4.4

Or OpenDNS (Cisco - plus if you register you have some added security)

Primary 208.67.222.222

Secondary 208.67.220.220

You can access the DNS settings via "Internet" -> "DNS" and select manual and put in the above.

2) If you have more than 5 devices I would strongly recommend not using the Vodafone Connect Router - it is seriously bad - especially at handling DHCP.  I use an external wireless router, my recommendation in brief:

i) Turn off DHCP on the Vodafone router

"Settings" -> "IPv4" -> DHCP switch at bottom turn both to "off" the main network should have a static IP of 192.168.1.1 (don’t worry about the guest).

ii) Check your secondary Wi-Fi router manual (or google) to find out how your router is setup to provide DHCP

My Wi-Fi router handles the DHCP and I have about 30 devices connected (Wi-Fi camera's, smart switches, SONOS, games consoles, smart TVs, phones, ipads, etc.)  - using the Vodafone BB only a few devices would work at once.

I also chose to use a static IP on my secondary router config (192.168.1.2 as it should be the only device that connects to your main router which is 192.168.1.1 as per the above).

This should really help if you are experiencing latency or Wi-Fi connectivity issues.

2 REPLIES 2

Nabs
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

If you're looking for an alternate DNS I've always had pretty good success with Namebench, see how to below 🙂

Find a Faster DNS Server with Namebench

Faz_1993
1: Seeker

Great write up buddy, helped me a great deal. This has even got my iMessage pictures downloading too, awesome!