main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

This is a locked archive and content on this page may no longer be up to date. These posts and threads have been archived for reference only.

Archive

Htc one m8

SOLVED
View solved solution
Highlighted
3: Seeker

Avg has found tags as malware

View more options
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
17: Community Champion

Does the other installed tools find an issue ?

Current Phone > Samsung Note 10+ 5G _256Gb > Model: SM-N976B.

Samsung One Ui  / Pie.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch.

View more options
13 REPLIES 13

Hi @Ian_Anderson

My general rule of thumb is to run sweeps again and or use another suite because it is common for things to be reported back in error. 

If it shows up still then run its cleaner / remove tool (if applicable)

Samsung One Ui  / Pie.

View more options
Yeah tried that unfortunately avg say it was installed by vendor and cannot be removed, is there another way around it?
View more options

Is anything specific ie wording being shown via Avg ?

This might give an idea what it is. 

If installed by the vendor it could be a false report. 

Samsung One Ui  / Pie.

View more options
The only wording is (tags) I've installed different malware tools and ran them, and found problems and fixed them but avg still finds a malware problem
View more options

Does the other installed tools find an issue ?

Samsung One Ui  / Pie.

View more options
Yes and fixed them but avg still finds a malware problem
View more options

If this was something vendor-installed, it's possible that AVG has simply found an advertising link.   It's never a good idea to be complacent, but I think I'd regard this as a false positive.

View more options

Then I think I and @hrym are in agreement. 

Samsung One Ui  / Pie.

View more options
Yeah I'm hoping that it is to, guess I'm just going to live with it, unfortunately avg flags it as malware for whatever reason thanks anyway.
View more options

Someone brought up a similar issue a while back that involved a pre-installed installation package for a game.  In that case, the problem was a China-based advertising server and the issue seemed to be just the fact of it, rather than any known issues.

Its seems relatively unlikely (though  I'd never say never...) that HTC or Vodafone would include anything genuinely dodgy.

View more options
Yes you just don't know how secure apps or software updates from mobile phone companies or services providers really are.
View more options

Thankfully I've never had an issue from Apple on my idevices. 

Fingers crossed. :smileywink:

Samsung One Ui  / Pie.

View more options

@Ian_Anderson wrote:
Yes you just don't know how secure apps or software updates from mobile phone companies or services providers really are.

Well, you can be sure of the source.   No organisation should ever say that it's 100% secure because malicious software can come from anywhere and complacency is a dangerous thing, but I would expect some pretty rigorous testing before release.   The greater danger is from unknown sources, especially games that come from outside the official app stores.

The example I qouted was fine - it wasn't malware, just an advertising server - although these can also be suspect.

View more options