Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

My Vodafone app doesn't work following Nougat upgrade

aadshead
4: Newbie
I've just upgraded my Nexus 5X to Android 7 Nougat and since the upgrade I can't get the My Vodafone app to work.

I get a couple of seconds of splash screen then a page with a message saying "We're having a few technical difficulties at the moment. We're working hard to get things sorted." Underneath is a big 'retry' button.

I've tried clearing cache, resetting the app and uninstall/reinstall but none of these change anything.

Any similar experiences
81 REPLIES 81

@flagpole

Yes, I probably a little clumsy with my language. I wasn't necessarily suggesting that VF won't support it ever, more just that their stance seems to imply "we'll support it as and when we see fit, which we believe is when it is more mainstream" which is a nonsense.

As is this from a VF staff member:

"This is only fully released to Google handsets.

Google has finally released Android Nougat, AKA Android 7.0. After months and months of beta versions, the final build of Android N is now shipping out to the Nexus 6, Nexus 5X, Nexus 6P, Nexus 9, Nexus Player, Pixel C, and General Mobile 4G.

As not all handsets will have this update yet our App is not updated for this Android update."

As Google release Android, an open source OS, to the market, this is fully released to everyone, not just to google handsets. There is a discrete point in that it might only be installed on google handsets at this time, but it is still fully released to the manufacturers. It's not our fault they decide to make changes under the hood according to their desires. 

It shouldn't be about what handsets VF sell that have it. It's about supporting customers.

Of course, they should be driven by need. They're not going to put a lot of work to get the app running under, say, Tizen OS or some legacy RIM OS, of course. But as the largest mobile OS in the world, Android devices will move to 7.x and it makes sense to simply make the app available to users running 7 now. I think what lends weight to this is that I don't believe the changes are that dramatic. I don't profess to be an Android developer (although play with Linux on my Raspberry Pi), but I doubt it would take a skilled developer long to include support. There just seems to be a total lack of effort on VF's part to support their own app. I don't think they had such issues on iOS (I have both a VF iOS device and a VF Android device). I know iOS is different but this really isn't an issue and is Unix really that different from Linux? No. 

flagpole
12: Established
12: Established

As not all handsets will have this update yet our App is not updated for this Android update.

Is one of the stupidest things i have ever read. I think most likely it's someone just wanting to speak on a subject and not having any information so making it up as they go. rather than an actual vodafone policy. but it's ridiculous nontheless.

Hello 

We are aware of an issue impacting Android users who are running Android N (Nougat).

This issue currently prevents users from accessing the My Vodafone App. We are sorry for any inconvenience this causes and hope to have this issue resolved as soon as possible.

If you need to access your account please head to www.vodafone.co.uk and log into My Account.

Louise

Just received this:

voda-app.jpg

Can confirm, all now working on my Pixel :smileyhappy:

Edit: Bit off topic, but does anybody know where the app pulls your avatar from? I'm surprised to see a particular avatar of mine now I can login and I can't work out where it's coming from?

Basically, as I originally thought back in Aug, this is a server side issue which they've clearly fixed.

Was itso hard to do this in the first place?

PW80805
3: Seeker
3: Seeker
Power to the people!!

wow, they fixed it. works for me on nexus 6p.

but i'm sure they'll break it again somehow. it's usually the cycle

My mind is boggled as to how this could be a server side issue. unless they were actively blocking androiid >6.x

anyway all is well that ends well.

Now about that competition they had to win an S7....

@flagpole wrote:

My mind is boggled as to how this could be a server side issue. unless they were actively blocking androiid >6.x

anyway all is well that ends well.

Now about that competition they had to win an S7....

Mine too. But seemingly what it was. Perhaps it was something to do with the authentication method - i.e. Nougat wraps messages in a way to the server that is different from Android 6.0. I have no idea. Either way, I'm happy it's fixed as this has been bothering me, not being able to easily track usage, especially when abroad on work.

It seemingly was simple to fix - perhaps should have just been investigated sooner, rather than allowing this to generate customer disatisfaction. 

As VF say, "Power to you".

63johnw
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion
@bobpullen the ones on my app are pulled from my contacts details.