Ask

Solution

NUC code

EsmeKay
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I received my NUC code today for a Motorola motog3 

Followed the instructions just to get the message "network unlock unsuccessful"

Bit annoyed as the phone was purchased by me and not provided by the network so locking it to one seems rather off.

Suggestions to resolve please?

14 REPLIES 14

redpages
17: Community Champion

Is that with a non-Vodafone SIM in the phone?

Vodafone customer since 2004. Attempting to help where I can on the Community

Yes. 

The instructions said to switch off the phone, put in the SIM I wanted to use and then switch on again. When prompted for the code I entered the seven digit number provided.

Then I got the request unsuccessful error.

BandOfBrothers

Hi @EsmeKay

Who did you buy the phone from may I ask  ?

I ask because a phone bought say directly from the manufacturer as factory unlocked would always remain so. A Network wouldnt lock it to their Network. 

The only exception to this rule was a few years ago when an iPhone bought from Carphone Warehouse as an example locked out to the first sim inserted. They themselves no longer do this now either. 

What I would suggest is to use checkmend to check the phones status. 

Usually if an unlocking code isnt working as it should then customer services on 191 or Live Chat can escalate this to the Nuc Unlocking Department or they can provide you with their email address to contact them yourself. They are not customer facing so there is no number to call them. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Oh crickey. Bought from a Currys type outlet as far as I can recall.

The guy in the VF shop said it was normal for phones to lock to the first network to which they were connected...guess that's not entirely accurate then :Smiling:

I'll call 191 again. Its a smudge frustrating since I was in the bloomin VF shop yesterday.  Would have been nice to sort in one go.

AnnS

Hi @EsmeKay

Not quite sure the reason the Vodafone Store told you all phone lock to the first network of the SIM inserted in the phone.  Apart from the iphone purchased direct from Vodafone, this is incorrect.

If the phone was purchased through Currry's, now Carphone, it would have come as unlocked and SIM free and the phone would not have been locked to any network enabling you to use any SIM in the phone.

The alternative network SIM you are using would need to be activated and working. Presumably, a Vodafone SIM still works in the phone.

Meh. Sometimes staff will hear about one thing and attribute all instances of similar behaviour to it. Likely to be an entirely genuine misunderstanding on his part.

I spoke to 191 who gave me an email address to contact which seems to have put me right back to the beginning.  Mildly irritating since I know this phone was not purchased from Vodafone but I have seen a lot of similar stories around so I guess it just happens sometimes. Annoying but not worth losing sleep over. :Smiling:

Oh and yes. A VF SIM works in it but not the SIM from my other provider, which itself works fine in a different handset. 

AnnS

Hi @EsmeKay

If the phone was purchased from Curry's it won't be locked to a network.   This will be a different code or PIN used when the phone was first set up with the Vodafone SIM to prevent you using an alternative SIM in the phone.

It may be worth factory resetting the phone, this will erase everything and try an alternative network SIM again.

If you still have problems, go back to the point of purchase a Carphone Warehouse outlet, and let them take a look at the phone.

I know it *shouldn't* be locked but it is. The message states clear as day it has been. When I bought the phone I just stuck the VF SIM from my at-the-time broken screened device and it just worked. I have no idea how the rest of it happened, just that it has.

If the NUC team fails I'll just have to get a new handset from somewhere. I only wanted it to run a number I've had for ten years or more so it's not a major problem, merely irksome. Going back to the original vendor well over 18 months later with no receipt probably won't get me very far. They're a pain in the whatnot for things *in* warranty and I juat don't have the energy to expend on that battle :Smiling: